• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

creative writing question (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
hey im just wondering if it is possible to write about 3 BOS pieces of paper in this section and still get a 15/15?
i mean, if you do it well enough and if the concept is golden lol etc
anyone know any success stories of ppl who have done this??

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ummm...to be honest...no.
people are bound to jump on me when i say this, but the theory that "its quality not quantity" is, as far as the HSC exam is concerned, utter rubbish *hides from peeps throwing BOS booklets at head*
ill tell you what my dad, a senior english HSC marker, told me: what you need is quality IN quantity. remember, you are, in essence, competing against a lot of very talented english students. it's not enough to write something that is high quality but only short - because you're being judged against people who write quality pieces but have managed to maintain that standard over a length - it is this ability to SUSTAIN your technique that shows the skill level the markers are looking for (i think you'll find actually, that "sustained piece" will be part of the question rubric).
the theory the markers adhere to, whether fair or not, is that if it is not at least 5 pages, whilst it may still score well, it cannot be worth top marks. remember, this is your chance to show your level and scope of literary skills, dont waste that opportunity by not writing a piece that shows you are able to develop motifs and themes and demonstrate technical control over a sustained piece.

7th Sign

HSC
pig_93 its basically impossible to score a 15/15 in creative when you are in standard and been compared with advanced students who have the higher abililty, My creative writing story was about 5-6 pages long and I had it pre marked by my mums friend who is a senior marker and she scored me on 90%. With 3 pages i doubt you will score 100% it is impossible....

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
I could score 15/15.

My creative writing always uses real life situations and I create a narrative from it. I have a standard topic that I use every time and because I am passionate about the topic that I write on, I am able to make the story cause a massive emotional response from the marker.

I only write 1.5 pages in the creative writing sections (in the past) and always got about 12 marks out of 15.

People need to get over the whole QUANTITY bullshit and focus more on the QUALITY.

Who wants to read 5 or 6 pages of rubbish when you can read 1.5 pages of PASSION (not the romantic type)?

Ill post what I wrote when I get it back when its marked.

Last edited:

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
silvermoon said:
ummm...to be honest...no.
people are bound to jump on me when i say this, but the theory that "its quality not quantity" is, as far as the HSC exam is concerned, utter rubbish *hides from peeps throwing BOS booklets at head*
Ever wondered why at Universities they put WORD LIMITS on essays? Mainly to stop those people who ramble on from doing just that.

Your dad isn't the same as other markers. I know if I was marking 1000's of creative writing exam responses, I wouldn't want to be reading pages and pages of bullshit. I also wouldn't want to read 6 pages when it could have been written in 3 or 4 just as well (if not better).

Oh and just for everyone else....... DONT WRITE LOVE / ROMANCE stories. They get the worst marks because they're boring (because everyone does them). The markers couldn't give a damn what your love life is or what you think is cute.

Last edited:

7th Sign

HSC
mattsta said:
I could score 15/15.

My creative writing always uses real life situations and I create a narrative from it. I have a standard topic that I use every time and because I am passionate about the topic that I write on, I am able to make the story cause a massive emotional response from the marker.

I only write 1.5 pages in the creative writing sections (in the past) and always got about 12 marks out of 15.

People need to get over the whole QUANTITY bullshit and focus more on the QUALITY.

Who wants to read 5 or 6 pages of rubbish when you can read 1.5 pages of PASSION (not the romantic type)?

Its does not matter HSC MARKER LIKE QUANTITY + QUALITY all in one 5 page response to get high marks, It does not matter if you write like the best story writer in the world and relate it "to real life experiences" they will only give you a lower mark of like 12/15 for 1 page and a half.....you need like 4 + pages if you want to even think about getting 100%, I am not even hopeing for a 100% all i want is around 80% in creative writing and if i adopt my story to the 8 page booklet i can easily do 5 pages.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
7th Sign said:
Its does not matter HSC MARKER LIKE QUANTITY + QUALITY all in one 5 page response to get high marks, It does not matter if you write like the best story writer in the world and relate it "to real life experiences" they will only give you a lower mark of like 12/15 for 1 page and a half.....you need like 4 + pages if you want to even think about getting 100%, I am not even hopeing for a 100% all i want is around 80% in creative writing and if i adopt my story to the 8 page booklet i can easily do 5 pages.
My English teacher is a senior HSC marker.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
mattsta said:
Ever wondered why at Universities they put WORD LIMITS on essays? Mainly to stop those people who ramble on from doing just that.

Your dad isn't the same as other markers. I know if I was marking 1000's of creative writing exam responses, I wouldn't want to be reading pages and pages of bullshit. I also wouldn't want to read 6 pages when it could have been written in 3 or 4 just as well (if not better).

actually, i think you'll find as a senior marker he IS like other markers as they are the ones who tell the markers in their groups what pieces are worth --> the markers mark to the standards set by people like my dad (who, by the way, only get that job after numerous years and high recommendations). next time try to actually know something about what you're saying.

yes, universities and high schools put word limits on pieces as a guiedline and test of your ability to be concise and extract only the most appropriate information. i should know. i am, after all, at uni...unlike you. perhaps you hadn't noticed, but there is no word limit in your question booklet, only a time limit on the overall exam.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
mattsta said:
I could score 15/15.

a real life situation doesn't have anything to do with a marks. You might find it easier to write in that style but it's totally irrelevant argument.
who wants to read 1.5 pages of arrogant bullshit when they could read 6 pages of quality in-depth response showing creativity, technique and control? more people do "real-life" situations then not: THESE are what's boring. Try a new angle and drop the arrogance.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
7th Sign said:
pig_93 its basically impossible to score a 15/15 in creative when you are in standard and been compared with advanced students who have the higher abililty, My creative writing story was about 5-6 pages long and I had it pre marked by my mums friend who is a senior marker and she scored me on 90%. With 3 pages i doubt you will score 100% it is impossible....
hey cumon we kno standard are just as good as advanced or 2-unit the dif is u do more essays and do shakespeare ill tell u my result 4 creative writing wen i get it back aight

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
well, thats the right attitude. im sure many standard students do exceptionally well in the combined advanced/standard paper. I'm sure 7th Sign wasn't trying to be antagonistic, just saying that the advanced students ON THE WHOLE are expected to do slightly better on paper 1. whether that turns out to be true or not depends on the students and their efforts

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
silvermoon said:
i am, after all, at uni...unlike you. perhaps you hadn't noticed, but there is no word limit in your question booklet, only a time limit on the overall exam.
I have done uni courses as a full fee payer by distance ed from CSU :D

7th Sign

HSC
people i am not in advanced I am in standard .....

I just get info from my sister who did ex2 english and my mum is friends with senior markers and like head english teacher and stuff....

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
^^ lol thats the same as my standard class. WOO HOO. lol i reckon its all thanks to me. I only ever get 19's and 20's out of 20. :):):):):):):)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
not quite --> write as much as you need to, remembering that if you can lengthen your narrative to incude a deeper, better structured plot displaying extended technical control and invention, you'll get more marks. but don't keep adding for the sake of it. try to work out how much you can write in 40 minutes and work on being able to construct a narrative that can be explored to a satisctory conclusion and meet the question rubric within the time limit

mimi88

question

Hey just to make sure...If i write a creative piece that's 3-4 A4 pages long, like in the trial writing pads, how many pages in the BOS writing booklet would that be equivalent to? And what if the piece is a feature article? Is it expected to be of similar length to a short story? Because feature articles/speeches don't really have a plot...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)