creative writing relating to physical journeys (1 Viewer)

nickluvschool

HSC
hey guys my hsc trials are soon and i thort id try n get some idea of what would be the best thing to write for a creative writing piece.. im thinking something lord of the rings ish .. but i think thats a bit too cliche..any suggestions?? thanks

morganforrest

HSC
Try and write something that incorporates all three types of journeys....ie something thats an imaginary physical journey with inner awakening as a result. Markers tend to like that. I'd try not to go too cliche with the LOTR style, you can use the fantasy genre but maybe try and break conventions a little.

PS: Can't believe im counselling people on english, i hate the damn subject

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Quote from one of the English teachers of my school who recently marked our assessment on a creative writing task:

"clichéd stories don't necessarily disadvantage you ... the secret is the way the story is written"

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Quote from one of the English teachers of my school who recently marked our assessment on a creative writing task:

"clichéd stories don't necessarily disadvantage you ... the secret is the way the story is written"
Thats true... cz so many ppl hv similar stories...

The way u describe ur characters and situations is more imp than the story itself :)

Gudluck

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
!!Chocoholic!!! said:
Thats true... cz so many ppl hv similar stories...

The way u describe ur characters and situations is more imp than the story itself :)

Gudluck
That was from the feedback sheet. I got 10/15, many responses were 7-9 and some were 11/15.

But the teacher wrote she understands I am trying to convey a sense of discovery and I had effective use of language but the discovery must have a deeper impact.

ellen.louise

HSC
The advice we got:

Do not write about:

Teenage Angst (Fights with parents/ girlfriend/ boyfriend/ finding out you were adopted/ unrequited love etc)
Terminal Illness (unless you can make it REAL and DIFFERENT)
Personal Tragedy (car crash, abortion, etc)
Amazing holidays
Schoolies
Your HSC Journey
Guys in cars picking up chicks

DO NOT end your story in waking up and it was all a dream
DO NOT kill off your character
DO NOT construst a convoluted or unrealistic plot.

The best stories are unusual, creative etc. While it is technically possible to get full marks no matter what topic you write about, realistically nothing is going to set you apart from the other 75% of the state that write about the same, lame topic you chose if you do these^^^

Come up with your story beforehand, get your teacher to read over it and give you feedback, and practise re-working it to suit different questions (do past papers)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
ellen.louise said:
Do not write about: ... finding out you were adopted
Apparently the best story written was about adoption.

ellen.louise said:
Do not write about: ... unrequited love
One of the responses featured that.

ellen.louise said:
DO NOT kill off your character
The teacher marking the assessment quoted on her feedback sheet, 'and Billy got hit a car and died', triggered a chain reaction of laughter among the whole class.

HSC
f3nr15 said:
That was from the feedback sheet. I got 10/15, many responses were 7-9 and some were 11/15.

But the teacher wrote she understands I am trying to convey a sense of discovery and I had effective use of language but the discovery must have a deeper impact.
Fair enough...
Without tryin to boast or nethin... although i had a simple story of a girl migratin from another country n al that, i did pretty well...
and did score a place in top ten in eng last yr :D with 91 :)

All im tryin to say is, be original, try usin some descriptive language without bein borin... and even though ur story might nt be the most original creative piece, its just how u allow the reader to get involved wat matters..

Gud luck! :)

morganforrest

HSC
My half yearly creative writing got 15/15...a story about this girl whose parents keeping fighting, her dad takes her away from her mum and stuff.....she has this dreamw here she watches it happen over and over again....gets better, all cycle of abuse stuff....anyway in the end she feels this hope and new understanding, then gets crushed because she realises the new understanding is just that things are always going to be shit....it sounds lame when I write it like that but it was heaps expressive and stuff, good discovery etc...teacher said "nice imaginative elements mixed with elements of a physical journey which both contributed to a well developed inner journey. A beautifully told story with sensitive expression."

Anyway, if you wanna have a look PM me

ch0c0L8MooSE

HSC
i dunno what you could write about i did a pretty good one in prelim about an alien that was different from all the other martians for changing perspective but my creative writing for the half yearly's stank something about needing to develop the narrative more and you've got to make it fit in with the stimulus

shona1990

HSC
ARGH, I HATE having to do creative writing in an exam.
I'm totally screwed for that section. I cannot think of anything to base my writing on, or what form etc on the spot and right now I just don't want to think about it cos it's depressing. :)
And my trials are on Monday....
Kill me? :)

samuel slack

HSC
In half-yearly I did a story about a guy whose climbing a mountain whose climbing buddy dies, then he sort of imagines his friend in front of him leading to the top. I left it as a bit of a cliff-hanger... so you don't find out whether he dies or not. t got 12/15... teacher said I lost marks for the ending because I didn't end it "properly".

haitham

HSC
excellent mark good on you

just asking if you may still have that creative piece.

thankyou

"the day you help somebody, the day somebody helps you"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)