creative writing stories (1 Viewer)

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
I know some people have already posted queries about creative writing but i was hoping people could hit me up with some good ideas for a story, i dont want cliches and i am a guy, so im not good at writing deeply about emotions. Any sensible suggestion would be good

Sarah160

HSC
Depends on what sort of story you want to write...like what sort of journey? what sort of setting? what you should do is just picture for yourself a place, the most interesting place you can come up with, and then find the character who belongs there. Once you do that it's just a matter of working out what situation that character would get in...

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Not only we have to avoid cliches, we are supposed to make up something odd, original but different. It's hard to get a really excellent idea and it's harder to avoid prolicity when writing it as well as overuse of colloquialism.

Since you suggest you can't ace in terms of highly emotional facets, you can write about physical journeys instead. Firstly trying some simple stuff like reflection from the view of a soldier. To avoid cliche, you have to write something uncliche from a cliche topic. You can write about the precocious or maybe premature cognitive thinkings of a teenager. Its hard to write something totally different when you're yourself a part of the cliche factory you at first to escape it.

Hope that helps. Start with simple first.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Sometimes, even writing 'cliche' stories work, and receive highly placed HSC marks, if they are written WELL. That's the key; I've read stories that helped HSC english students to achieve 95+ exam marks. Any average student would have written them broadly speaking, in a 'cliche' manner and overtone. These high placing english students simply have a more advanced (or more well-researched :)) writing style.

Sorry if that's not useful, but I just thought that I'd put the thought out there.

xceler8

HSC
yeah why do we have to write creative stories?

HSC
live.fast said:
Sometimes, even writing 'cliche' stories work, and receive highly placed HSC marks, if they are written WELL. That's the key; I've read stories that helped HSC english students to achieve 95+ exam marks. Any average student would have written them broadly speaking, in a 'cliche' manner and overtone. These high placing english students simply have a more advanced (or more well-researched :)) writing style.

Sorry if that's not useful, but I just thought that I'd put the thought out there.
SO true!!
you can only pull off cliche if you are a REALLY good writer.
REALLY good.
like, allistair macleod good.
and that's hectic.

HSC
xceler8 said:
yeah why do we have to write creative stories?
they're trying to turn our fledgeling minds into adults, and that involves imaginative development - and of course, it gives markers a better sense of where you are at in terms of literary development.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)