Creative writing (1 Viewer)

lilkatie

What elements do you reckon you'd have to include to get a kick arse mark for the composition piece?
Oh creative writing is so subjective
My teacher said I needed to include some personalising

serge

HSC
chances are they wont make it a story (too easy)
so most of the marks will be based on what they ask you to write
how well you adapt to that and if your thesis and info is relevant

hikari

HSC
you wouldn't have a thesis and info in a creative ..

anyways, generally in creatives you should do the following:

- have a plot relevant to the concept of journeys - show HOW the journey affects the traveller and what the result is, but don't make it really obvious like "i learnt blah blah"
- have sophisticated language, proper grammar/punctuation/spelling
- have a twist if possible :D
- avoid stereotypical stories involving a holiday somewhere, teen angst or HSC stress
- make sure you know how to write in the particular form they ask (diary entry, letter, interview, etc)
- show, don't tell ;]

that's the basic structure i suppose. everything else is really up to your own ability. before you get in there just have some flexible plots ready cos it's really hard to come up with something amazing in the time frame and under exam pressure xD

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Generally with creative writing pieces, your idea counts more than anything. Brilliant idea supported with moderate language -->> Awesome mark.

Haku

well u won;t be talking much about physical, but more of a inner journey.
to show a physical journey is just move charactors one place to another
so i would recomend to concentrate in inner journey and refer little to physical journey only just a way to actually bring about the inner changes and journey the character take

this require u to write in second person...post modern style

HSC
mine is goign to be 'episodic structure' my teacher saw my draft I made a long time ago, each episode is an age in each paragraph, ie. first paragraph is what i remember till i was 0-4 then next paragraph 4-8, next paragraph 8-12

and I sit there contrasting to how different i felt, the experiences that actually occured to me in that time, and how i changed

teacher says it 'has potential' (ie. its shit but work on it)

madcoretom

HSC
Thanks Hikari, I'm going to test out your theory today in my english trials :read:

Hannanafelafel

HSC
Well with creative, my teachers kept saying that you've got to have a rich vocabulary.
Also, make sure you don't cliche stuff like schoolies (hey it's what my teacher said, and he marks them)

P.S. I had my Area of Study trial today and we had just a plain old story, and the best thing about that is that you can do whatever you want (diary, letter etc)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
All I can say is ...

H A T E

... whenever I hear Creative Writing,
because it must suit the area of study, and you must change your pre-planned story to adapt to the question ...

Tarahd

HSC
QUESTION??
When you write your creative writting section.... Do you have to specify which journey you are doing??
Or do they tell you or do u write about the journey which you study??

WHAT DO U THINK OF THIS

We are going to do physical but i have a story that is more inner and emotional!!!

It may have been the environment in which i was bought up in, it may have been the stupidity i have dealt with all my life- from forgetful mother to socially unstable brother. From being exposed to cash and opportunities from such a young age i developed this idea that money could come easy. I took on a career that involved excessive amounts of........ decieving.

The age of 18 blessed me with a tall slim figure, luscious long brown hair and a to die for face- obviously confidence was an area i hardly lacked.
May i describe my brain as an on going train, never stopping, cutting laps across the same tracks and continuously dealing with different people.
[/I][/I][/I]

madcat939

HSC
Casmira said:
mine is goign to be 'episodic structure' my teacher saw my draft I made a long time ago, each episode is an age in each paragraph, ie. first paragraph is what i remember till i was 0-4 then next paragraph 4-8, next paragraph 8-12

and I sit there contrasting to how different i felt, the experiences that actually occured to me in that time, and how i changed

teacher says it 'has potential' (ie. its shit but work on it)
i don't think u can remember anything when ure 0-4 years old.

for ure wiritng piece obviously structure a creative piece that fits in to the various texts that may be asked upon by with in the exam. Use key language techniques, dialogue etc.
also keep grammer in check and spelling too.
And always keep journey in mind and relate the concepts u have learnt upon the journey aswell
this type of writing piece u can create so easily just put it togther from things u have done, experiences u have faced and books u have read eg. gone to the beach, been in a car crash and 'harrypotter'.
conveying emotions and physical chracteristics contributes to the sophisticated language required for the writing piece

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
*Katie* said:
What elements do you reckon you'd have to include to get a kick arse mark for the composition piece?
Oh creative writing is so subjective
My teacher said I needed to include some personalising

something really out there and different..

:confused: - still in process of thinking of one. lol

Malla

HSC
I got 13/15 for it in the trial ... if not for silly grammar and punctual errors I would of achieved a 15. So basically, focus on the basics and make sure you answer what they are asking.

natt2006

HSC
My Creative Writing for the Trials was apparently too 'explicit' or something. The comment I got was "not appropriate for the examination markers". I guess, if one of them has been raped, etc, theyre not going to like a story about rape for example. My story is on this link: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38380757/

I mean, nothing really happened, but I can see how it borders not acceptable. The use of internal voice is good, though.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Now I have to write my whole creative again - in two days!!!!

http://nightlolita.deviantart.com

:p

Dr_Doom

HSC
Tarahd said:
QUESTION??
When you write your creative writting section.... Do you have to specify which journey you are doing??
Or do they tell you or do u write about the journey which you study??

WHAT DO U THINK OF THIS

We are going to do physical but i have a story that is more inner and emotional!!!

It may have been the environment in which i was bought up in, it may have been the stupidity i have dealt with all my life- from forgetful mother to socially unstable brother. From being exposed to cash and opportunities from such a young age i developed this idea that money could come easy. I took on a career that involved excessive amounts of........ decieving.

The age of 18 blessed me with a tall slim figure, luscious long brown hair and a to die for face- obviously confidence was an area i hardly lacked.
May i describe my brain as an on going train, never stopping, cutting laps across the same tracks and continuously dealing with different people.
[/i][/i][/i]
No you don't have to say which journey you are doing. Although it will be shown by what piece of stimuli you choose, and should be even clearer in your story.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Malla said:
I got 13/15 for it in the trial ... if not for silly grammar and punctual errors I would of achieved a 15. So basically, focus on the basics and make sure you answer what they are asking.
Are you doing standard or advanced?

Yogurt

HSC
What do you guys think of this idea for a story
walking to the servo and bottle - o to get smoke and booze and on the journey i witness and partake in events which make me realise that smoking and drinking are bad and by the end im reformed and have a mars bar and coke instead of the ciggies and booze

reckon that'll rate good once i get the language into it?

man_dee

HSC
well, is not set in another format, so dat i choose to write for a speech. n when i m writing the story, i m kinda thinking of wt can i add to make a climax. basically, i m thinking that the examiner will think my creative writing will laugh coz when i m writing, i m not quite sure wt story i m trying to make. haha, hope not get low marks....:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)