Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

Kutay

University
HSC
i know i have asked this a couple of times before but i need help in section 2 ok paper 1 the creative writing... i keep doing and just getting average marks i was wondering like a list of possible ideas that i could write about .....
i know good to be rich in description etc and easy if personal expierence but i still keep screwing it up,,, so i was wondering if someone could send me theres to have a look or really just looking for ideas on what to write about..... i always try to make the start and finish zingy but still dont get the marks ??? plz need some help

FinalFantasy

HSC
hihi! I have similar problems as u...
I am very crap at that section 2!!
Me not creative at all:(

nwatts

HSC
I've tried a few different things that seem to get me better marks. I'll usually score a 12/13/14 out of 15 in a section 2 creative piece. I do Inner Journeys, but my advice could be applicable to all.

* Think of ideas for stories/characters before the exam. Spend half an hour the night before jotting-down any interesting things you can about the journey, and about how you can draw that out in something you're to write in 40 minutes. I often find that flashbacks work quite well (because the journey is often something that happens over time), and i'll usually find that the creation of an interesting character can be part of preparation, and can be something I can fit around any topic.

* If you've written something good in the past, or perhaps created a nice image/metaphor, use it again! There's nothing to stop you taking what you've written in the past and building on it. A friend of mine has this fantastic image of a seagull (basically dying) that she has worked into quite a number of creative pieces, to fantastic effect!

* Read some poetry/take note of poetic technique in class. My ability to write solid creative pieces has really been enhanced by our latest module (B: Critical Study - Gwen Harwood). Simply because little archetypes/images that poets frequently use are very easy to tie into a creative piece, and are often subtely very effective. If your creative piece only spans a few hours, and emphasis is placed on the time of day (dusk, morning, etc.), you'll find it enhances whatever conceptual meaning is behind the piece. Eg, dusk = falling into night, representitive of your last days before death, the 'autumn' of your life, etc..

* Focus on the concept of the journey. If you aren't good at writing creatively, and weaving in vivid imagery in description, then focus on the journey. You're essentially being marked on how you represent the concept of the journey, rather than writing a good story.

* Take care of the time, but don't ramble. You can get away with writing less in section B. Make your time count. Spend a minute reading over your piece when you're done, fixing grammar or adding more material. I often use this time to find whatever image/metaphor i've repeated throughout and work it into the beginning. Markers like to see a sustained piece.

* Practice. Spend time doing these creative pieces at home. Make sure you write them in 40minutes. Get your teacher to mark them, discuss them with you.

Let me know how you go if you follow some of my advice. :)

nwatts

HSC
Kutay said:
if a prepare a couple you think you could have a look at them
Sure. I'm in trials at the moment, so I don't have a lot of time. But I finish on Thursday, so I'd be happy to have a look, make some comments.

The Intergrator

HSC
You should be able to just prepare one good story and adapt it to the question.
Narratives can easily be changed to feature articles, letters etc.

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Creative writing is just as the name suggests, creative. In this section i feel complex/descriptive *expression* is integral in order to create a seemingly living and breathing atmosphere for the reader.
In regards to ideas, these markers are going to get hundreds of the cliche' car accident survivors, hence, choose a theme or topic that may seem ludacrous at first, then give it body by surrounding it with some sort of story. Honestly, looking at my desk now i see a digital camera - you can turn this into a story about how the camera has the power to capture a moment in time, and reflection on photos can take us back into worlds of yesterday or something. Obviously needs work but you get the idea.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
exa_boi87 said:
Creative writing is just as the name suggests, creative. In this section i feel complex/descriptive *expression* is integral in order to create a seemingly living and breathing atmosphere for the reader.
In regards to ideas, these markers are going to get hundreds of the cliche' car accident survivors, hence, choose a theme or topic that may seem ludacrous at first, then give it body by surrounding it with some sort of story. Honestly, looking at my desk now i see a digital camera - you can turn this into a story about how the camera has the power to capture a moment in time, and reflection on photos can take us back into worlds of yesterday or something. Obviously needs work but you get the idea.
I'd disagree with the complex part. This story needs to represent clearly the concept of the journey - you'd be looking at a basic concept which has communicated the concept effectively and complexity won't always do that, especially since there is a time limit to do it in. I agree completely with the non cliche point though.
Here are some things to focus on:
When creating a story, make sure the journey you depict has clear cause and effect ie woman is afraid of heights, woman faces fear by journeying over something gigantic bridge, woman fails in concquering fear and falls off bridge - failing journey in process. See what I mean about simple? It can be inventive just not complex.
Show don't tell. This should practically be a syllabus dotpoint, and you probably know this already.
Tone. If you're doing an introspective piece then it's vital that you establish a voice and tone for your character to make them individuals. ie how differently would Gandalf's voice be written from Donald Duck's?

Zali

HSC
I always get frustrated and screw up question 2 cos our teachers tell us to stand out and not to be cliched and write about teenage stories because every1 else in the state is a teenager and many will be doing that. But then they tell us to write about something we have experienced..........!!!!!!!! were teenagers we've only experienced teenage things unless u write about when u were a child but then they tell us not to do that because the language cant be sophisticated. So really Ive got no idea like u and any help would be much appriciated.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Zali said:
I always get frustrated and screw up question 2 cos our teachers tell us to stand out and not to be cliched and write about teenage stories because every1 else in the state is a teenager and many will be doing that. But then they tell us to write about something we have experienced..........!!!!!!!! were teenagers we've only experienced teenage things unless u write about when u were a child but then they tell us not to do that because the language cant be sophisticated. So really Ive got no idea like u and any help would be much appriciated.
Something that you've experienced that doesn't have anything to do with being a teen...hmm, think of your hobbies. Do you like animals? Then maybe write something like Milo and Otis that involves animals journeying, or do you enjoy rugby? Then write about a journey into becoming a celebrity through your sport. Or you could write as an astronaut going to the moon - its a journey you haven't made yourself but all the emotions are things you probably have experienced. But do you see what I mean? You can pull out heaps of ideas if you think on it for a little.

nwatts

HSC
kami said:
I'd disagree with the complex part.
Me too.

Complex description/expression =! quality writing. It is very easy to go overboard with imagery and such, and often there's little need for the complex description you'll find in (good) published works.

I've scored 14/15 in a creative piece that was very intentionally spare on description. It was the story of a young man, Jared, who finds himself in the middle of nowhere. Out of thin air comes a man who walks around with him, discussing aspects of his life and why Jared hates himself. Then there's more on journeys and such.

It was written in such a way to have the eerie atmosphere of absurdist theatre, which came from a total lack of normal or complex imagery.

nwatts

HSC
I got my trial AOS exam back a few days ago, and scored a nice 15/15 for the creative task.

I've turned it into a pdf and submitted it to the BOS notes section, so everyone can have a look, maybe learn a thing or two. ;) I'll provide a link when it's up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)