Creative (1 Viewer)

planetblue

HSC
....Creative writing is my favourite thing on this planet, but whenever the words "short story" and "marking schedule" are used in the same sentence, I flinch and hiss at my teacher.

So, I wrote something, and I kind of hate it. Questions:
1) Do we need to include a lot of descriptive language/language techniques? Because everyone else in my class is shoving in as much of that as possible, and it looks tacky, childish and forced. I did maybe one simile, and that was it. Do we need to use them for the marker's sake?

2) I wrote about an event that I was too young to remember, but any adult who wasn't living under a rock at the time should know. I was pretty vague on my descriptions to compensate, so I can't be called out for over-dramatising/giving false information on the situation. Smart idea, or no?

I also kind of did the opposite to what my teacher wanted us to write when she gave us a discovery stimulus to practice with. I'll give my draft to her tomorrow. Everyone thought that I was joking about my plot. And then I actually wrote it. Right now I'm laughing manically.

Good luck to anyone else doing their creative :) I know that I'll be needing lots of it

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
....Creative writing is my favourite thing on this planet, but whenever the words "short story" and "marking schedule" are used in the same sentence, I flinch and hiss at my teacher.

1) Do we need to include a lot of descriptive language/language techniques? Because everyone else in my class is shoving in as much of that as possible, and it looks tacky, childish and forced. I did maybe one simile, and that was it. Do we need to use them for the marker's sake?

2) I wrote about an event that I was too young to remember, but any adult who wasn't living under a rock at the time should know. I was pretty vague on my descriptions to compensate, so I can't be called out for over-dramatising/giving false information on the situation. Smart idea, or no?

I also kind of did the opposite to what my teacher wanted us to write when she gave us a discovery stimulus to practice with. I'll give my draft to her tomorrow. Everyone thought that I was joking about my plot. And then I actually wrote it. Right now I'm laughing manically.

Good luck to anyone else doing their creative :) I know that I'll be needing lots of it
1) It's not good to like FORCE in language techniques but it's good to have a good amount of imagery and "beautiful" phrases - not sure how to say it but just try make it sound good, i.e. show not tell. Shoving in language techniques will sound artificial and will take away from your work.

2) If it's like a historical event it'll benefit you to include specific details to show you researched it well.

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC

Don't worry - Creative writing was my bane in English as well initially during my Preliminary and HSC years haha - but eventually in my Mid-Years and my Trials it turned out to be one of my strongest sections for some reason lol.

A few answers to your questions:

1) Descriptive language helps a lot but please DO NOT make it feel contrived. It's sometimes glaringly obvious to the marker and it might take marks off unfortunately. The best thing to do is to read the story yourself and question whether you are adding anything to your story. For example, in the first draft of my story I literally had one sentence with symbolism, sibilance, allusion and metaphor. It was extremely clunky and it literally provided almost no strength to my overall description - as I result I took it off which the teacher liked more whilst also saving writing time lol.

2) My story was a rather sentimental story dealing with notions of long-distance relationships (cheesy I know lol). I'm assuming markers would know maybe a little (hopefully lol) about this so it might be good to connect with them by adding some nuance (but this doesn't mean chucking in more flowery language - maybe more like some more detail on the surroundings or interactions if you get what I mean)

Also, in terms of school assessments, just follow what your teacher wants since he/she is the one giving you the marks which will determine your ranks. For the HSC, just do whatever you're comfortable with lol.

Hope that helps! I wasn't the best at English so please don't take my advice to seriously haha. All the best.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)