Credit average over a semester or year? (1 Viewer)

fantasia

HSC
I'm doing a combined computing/commerce degree and it says that i need to obtain credit average to be considered into the course. So do they mean credit average over the year or credit average over the semester?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Usually they mean credit average WAM.

gman03

HSC
fantasia said:
I'm doing a combined computing/commerce degree and it says that i need to obtain credit average to be considered into the course. So do they mean credit average over the year or credit average over the semester?
Accumulated WAM. I.e. over the period of how long you been in this uni

fantasia

HSC
so if i've been at uni for a semester they might not allow me to do the course anymore if i dont get the credit average for the semester?

garr i'm getting average marks for 55-60 :(

fantasia

HSC
what happens if you dont get the credit average thats needed.. they wont let you do the double degree anymore? >.<

gman03

HSC
fantasia said:
what happens if you dont get the credit average thats needed.. they wont let you do the double degree anymore? >.<
Only if someone is admitted into your combined degree and your WAM is below credit average and no one has a lower WAM than yours...

However they don't usually kick people out of combined degree first semester unless your average is really *ouch*

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
no i don't think the uni is allowed to force anyone from dropping a degree
what they are allowed to do is put people on probation which will lead to you dropping out of uni but in the worst case that is after one semester where they assess your marks and then decide

there are plenty of actuaries who fails a course but continues with same degree just different majors

fantasia

HSC
putting people on probation? whats that? sounds pretty bad if it leads to people dropping out.

J0n

N/A
HSC
For Advanced Science, it says:
Progression to Stages 3 and 4 is subject to academic performance. A student will be required to have attained an average of 65 or higher in courses relevant to the major area and cognate subjects in each prior stage.
What exactly does that mean? My major area is math+comp sci, so does that mean I have to get 65+ for all my non-elective subjects, 65+ for *all* subjects being counted for my degree, or does the *average* of all my non-elective courses together have to be over 65?

gman03

HSC
J0n said:
For Advanced Science, it says:What exactly does that mean? My major area is math+comp sci, so does that mean I have to get 65+ for all my non-elective subjects, 65+ for *all* subjects being counted for my degree, or does the *average* of all my non-elective courses together have to be over 65?
Your semester/accumulated WAM, which everone is higher.

They say that because if you don't maintain a credit average it probably means the degree you're doing is not suitable for you and you should drop to a lower level degree...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
J0n said:
For Advanced Science, it says:What exactly does that mean? My major area is math+comp sci, so does that mean I have to get 65+ for all my non-elective subjects, 65+ for *all* subjects being counted for my degree, or does the *average* of all my non-elective courses together have to be over 65?
It means you need a credit average for all the subjects that is counted towards your major, that is, the non-elective courses (core). So they look at your accumulative WAM after 3 years before they let you go onto 3rd/4th year.

J0n

N/A
HSC
Oh cool, cause I really stuffed up last session, but i have learnt my lesson, but from what u've said, it seems i can recover if i try harder from now on.

EDIT: Sh*t, i just found out that i didn't meet the pre-req for math1241, looks like i'm going to have to transfer anyway... :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)