• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Credit points ???????:( (1 Viewer)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
I am totally confused with this credit pt system. Is each subject worth a certain amount of pts sorta like HSC units?
what is the usual units of a course overall and per semester?
How much work is each credit pt?
as you can c i am very confused and dont want to look like a complete ignoramus at the info days when i have to ask questions

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Credit points are a measure of how much each course is worth. Different uni's have different credit point styles (from here on, I'll refer to Newcastle's style, which is pretty common).

For me, each course is typically worth 10 credit points, therefore a typical load is 40cp per semester. To attain a 3 yr degree, you need to complete 240 credit points. However, there may be restrictions, such as the number of cp you can undertake at 1000 level (1st yr) or something.

Workload is varying. For example, biology units are 10cp each, and are typically 6 contact hours per week. Then you might get something like say english, which is also 10cp, but only might be like 2 contact hours per week.

However, regardless of contact hours, most academics believe that uni should be equivalent to a fulltime job, so expect to be putting in ~40hrs per week (give or take)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
at uws each subject is 40 credit points and you do 4 subjects each semester which as hipsta_jess said is equal to 40 hours of studying. You do your contracted hours at uni and then the rest at home studying. A 3 year degree will be equal to 240 credit points.
Some degrees require you to do atleast a certain number of level 3 subjects and also have limitations on how many level one subjects you can do.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
on a side note, the time spent independantly studying, I think it is meant for actual study, assignments almost certainly must come on top of that.

I mean, with bio, I have the 6 contact hrs, right, and then quite a few weeks I also had to write full lab reports, there was nooooooo way that could be done in 4 hrs. So yeah, plan for 40 hrs + assignment time.

Jacks

HSC
most units as far as I am aware are worth 10 cedit points...but some are worth more, but the number of credit points a unit is worth will be listed with the unit description and can be checked when working out all the details of which units you should be taking.

A full time student will usually take 4 units or subjects a semester which will usually mean they undertake 40 credit points a semester....thus 80 credit points generally over the year. My degree is three years in length and I am thus required to complete at least 240 credit points...

Don't worry about credit points too much all will be explained to you...and you can always approach relevant people for help if you need it.

GPA = Grade Point Average and is an overall sort of assessment of your achievement.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Sweet_Lemon said:
wat's this GPA stuff? wat's stand for and its purpose
GPA is your grade point average

Its basically a measure of how well you're doing.

Each grade (HD, D, etc) is given a numerical score:
HD: 7
D: 6
C: 5
P: 4
FF: 3 (I think)

And then the average found...

So say you get a HD, HD, C, C, your GPA would be:
7+7+5+5
= 6

Therefore, you would be sitting at a Distinction average

So, yeah, its pretty much just a measure of how you are doing.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
whats ff stand for? im having one of those moments i guess

im saying this cause i was talking to someone who said for a certain course u must maintain a 2.5 gpa. they also say u can only fail a course twice or something b4 u r thrown out

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You dont get thrown out...there are some steps in between, such as suspension

Jacks

HSC
A GPA of 4 would be a pass average wouldn't it? I dunno but it would have to be hard to fail everything if you apply yourself...I have a GPA of 5.75, that's just under a distinction average so I think 4 would be a pass. Not sure what FF is though.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ff= fail.

And you don't get kicked out of uni for failing a subject a couple of times, they generally give you three goes at it, and really, if you can still fail after that, it should be rather questionable whether that particular course is for you (or, even, to some extent, if uni is for you, but thats just my personal opinion)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
is a gpa of 3 a fail at newcastle?

im assuming its different then for other unis- why would they tell me a gpa of 2 is a pass then?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm not entirely sure what the ff gpa rating would be, I'm assuming it would be a 3.

All I can guess is that the person you are talking to is going to a uni that maybe uses the American system or something? (you know, how on movies, they make out that a GPA for 4.0 is really good, when, here, its only a pass)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
^ "Harvard won't exactly be impressed you aced the history of polka dots"

sorry, random spinout moment.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
lol i remember on the legally blonde movie, she needed a 4.something GPA to get into Havard.lol
Obviously American Universities have a different system. A GPA of 4 means all As. (HD average here).

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
macq uni's gpa system is based on a 4.0 scale......

hd = 4
d = 4
cr = 3
p = 2
cp = 1
f = 0

Jacks

HSC
really you get the same for a HD or a D? seems sort of dodgy but good considering Ds are easier to get as overall marks. I'd like to get the same for a D as a HD...this semester my Ds are only a few marks off HDs, so that system would work fine for me!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
If you fail less than 50% of the total cp's in 1 calander year, you get put on conditional enrolment.
meaning what, exactly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)