credits @ Uni (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Firstly can someone tell me what a credit is, and what is this 24 credits per year, because i have no idea.

Secondly, i completed my philosophy distinction course this year, and i gather that this can be used to my advantage to gain credits at uni (hence, the firstly)

I'm thinking of doing the combined bsci/b commerce at either syd or unsw, but i heard that unsw is only 3 yrs while usyd is 5!!! Are all degree qualifications the same, or say if i get the same degree at usyd, because of the longer time period i spent studying the degree, is it better than the same degree at unsw say, for 3 years.

i must say that this uni talk is quite confusing.

oh i got a distinction for the philosophy course, so i was thinking mayb i could say get some time off my degree or soemthing like that.

thanx, and merry xmas. :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
Firstly can someone tell me what a credit is, and what is this 24 credits per year, because i have no idea.

Secondly, i completed my philosophy distinction course this year, and i gather that this can be used to my advantage to gain credits at uni (hence, the firstly)

I'm thinking of doing the combined bsci/b commerce at either syd or unsw, but i heard that unsw is only 3 yrs while usyd is 5!!! Are all degree qualifications the same, or say if i get the same degree at usyd, because of the longer time period i spent studying the degree, is it better than the same degree at unsw say, for 3 years.

i must say that this uni talk is quite confusing.

oh i got a distinction for the philosophy course, so i was thinking mayb i could say get some time off my degree or soemthing like that.

thanx, and merry xmas. :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh:
hey again
i think you're talking about credit points. Each subject you do takes up a number of credit points. Ie. discrete maths in first year is 3 cp, physics is 6cp etc.
to obtain a degree in a given number of years you must satisfy the number of credit points. For science at usyd in 3 years you must complete about 144 credit points. Each year should be about 48 on average.
unsw comm/sci is 4 years i think. The reason its one year shorter than usyd is that you only get to major in 1 sci sub and 1 comm sub whereas at usyd u can major in 2 sci subs and 2 comm subs.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
hey again
i think you're talking about credit points. Each subject you do takes up a number of credit points. Ie. discrete maths in first year is 3 cp, physics is 6cp etc.
to obtain a degree in a given number of years you must satisfy the number of credit points. For science at usyd in 3 years you must complete about 144 credit points. Each year should be about 48 on average.
unsw comm/sci is 4 years i think. The reason its one year shorter than usyd is that you only get to major in 1 sci sub and 1 comm sub whereas at usyd u can major in 2 sci subs and 2 comm subs.
hi! oic so that is y the degree is shorter.

hmmm yeah i c i think it is cp. btw, can u give me some idea of what you do when you first get into uni, like say if i do the degree that you are currently doing, i'm thinking of studying a bit ahead. (like buying a text book and completing it in the holidays)

i still got a month or 2 and i'm bored shitless, so i was thinking i might as well study for uni if i can, but would that conflict with the med degree if i get in...ah so confusing.

emeka

HSC
N/A
hey darkangel, about Philosophy credit points, log onto our website cos it has a section that talks about it. i didnt get what was going on but u might

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
emeka said:
hey darkangel, about Philosophy credit points, log onto our website cos it has a section that talks about it. i didnt get what was going on but u might
yeah i already did :p

but the document says that Usyd only offers to help u get into an advanced stream, i was hoping to get some time off of my course so that i could study for umat or something, or perhaps i could finish my degree quicker.

hmmmm :p

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
hi! oic so that is y the degree is shorter.

hmmm yeah i c i think it is cp. btw, can u give me some idea of what you do when you first get into uni, like say if i do the degree that you are currently doing, i'm thinking of studying a bit ahead. (like buying a text book and completing it in the holidays)

i still got a month or 2 and i'm bored shitless, so i was thinking i might as well study for uni if i can, but would that conflict with the med degree if i get in...ah so confusing.
well if you do med sci or adv sci with or without commerce you'll have to do the basic science units (everyone has to). I assume you'll want to take everything to the advanced level
Adv physics you get Young and Freedman University Physics (a huge textbook that falls apart by 2nd year)
Chemistry by Silberberg
for maths just get Calculus by Stewart
www.maths.usyd.edu.au they have the units of choice there for first year and so forth

but don't bother studying that hard. No one ever gets around to doing that, unless you're really really eager!

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
dark_angel said:

hahaha thats funny, seriously chill out and enjoy the hols, studying ahead won't do u any good. :p

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Ultimate said:
hahaha thats funny, seriously chill out and enjoy the hols, studying ahead won't do u any good. :p

lol, well i think it might help with my situation. besides, i enjoy studying

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
well if you do med sci or adv sci with or without commerce you'll have to do the basic science units (everyone has to). I assume you'll want to take everything to the advanced level
Adv physics you get Young and Freedman University Physics (a huge textbook that falls apart by 2nd year)
Chemistry by Silberberg
for maths just get Calculus by Stewart
www.maths.usyd.edu.au they have the units of choice there for first year and so forth

but don't bother studying that hard. No one ever gets around to doing that, unless you're really really eager!

ahhhh awesome, thats just what i wanted to know, i think i'll buy these asap.

oh is there only like 1 text book for each subject, or do you have like 2 or 3 on say maths?

edit: i forgot to ask you where i should buy these from, are there any cheap places, discounted stores, im thinking co-op bookshop or dymocks or something like that. Also what are the exact names of the titles needed for the first year?

i typed these in in the co-op bookshop online and found 100 books on stewart and calculus...lol

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
ahhhh awesome, thats just what i wanted to know, i think i'll buy these asap.

oh is there only like 1 text book for each subject, or do you have like 2 or 3 on say maths?

edit: i forgot to ask you where i should buy these from, are there any cheap places, discounted stores, im thinking co-op bookshop or dymocks or something like that. Also what are the exact names of the titles needed for the first year?

i typed these in in the co-op bookshop online and found 100 books on stewart and calculus...lol

for maths you'll always have to buy notes that go along with the course
prices range from 6-16 dollars. (you buy them from KopyStop on Mountain St, Broadway).

I always buy my textbooks new from co-op. If you pay a once off $25 fee you get a life membership card and get 10% off every book u buy. Or was it 15%, i forget.

the titles of the books are as stated, just get the latest ones

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
for maths you'll always have to buy notes that go along with the course
prices range from 6-16 dollars. (you buy them from KopyStop on Mountain St, Broadway).

I always buy my textbooks new from co-op. If you pay a once off $25 fee you get a life membership card and get 10% off every book u buy. Or was it 15%, i forget.

the titles of the books are as stated, just get the latest ones
hmmm bob J, if i may ask, what units did you take in your first year, i'm doing the same degree so i would just like some insight. Did you do biology, and did you complete any courses outside the science faculties ie a language etc

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
hmmm bob J, if i may ask, what units did you take in your first year, i'm doing the same degree so i would just like some insight. Did you do biology, and did you complete any courses outside the science faculties ie a language etc
first sem
Biology 1001 (never did bio in highschool)
Chem1901
Phys1901
MATH1901
Math1902
2nd sem
BIOL1003 (human bio, was alot more interesting than last sem bio-which sucked absolute shit)
CHEM1902
PHYS1902
MATH1903
MATH1905 (if you're gonna do maths do statistics(math1905) rather than discrete maths(math1904), coz it gives u more options in 2nd year)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)