Cricket Bowling Machines (1 Viewer)

zingerburger

HSC
Most of the time, a cricket ball will only cut noticeably if it hits the seam. That's mostly the reason why a straight seam is so important to a pace bowler. Obviously, a hockey ball won't cut because it's completely smooth.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
bos1234 said:
130 is very sharp

i face a nsw under 17 bowler and he bowls at about 115
maybe 120-125 at his peak

and his opening bowler for 2nd grade

i dont think B12's will get that fast

maybe 110 is quickest
Which kid(s) are you actually talking about?

I've worked at Campbelltown Indoor Sports, and they've got a bowling machine that the Ghosts use when they're training indoors. It's quite easy to make a ball swing in the air, but it has nothing to do with 'cricket physics' but more baseball. By making one wheel spin faster, you put a rotation on the ball which causes the ball to 'swing'... it's not the cricket shine/rough equation.

Most of the top younger grade kids - 16/17yr old grade cricket bowlers tend to bowl 120-130 with the odd exception which can bowl a few yards quicker.

We've managed to get the machine to 150-160 with an indoor ball... it just depends on the individual bowling machine, it's like cars, different manufacturers mean different performance. And yes, if you work at an indoor sports centre long enough, you tend to do stupid stuff like face 150-160km/h with a technique bat, a box, and no other real protection. :D

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
You would be surprised at how 'fast' 130km/h is. I have watched McGrath bowl in the nets, and he is a 130km bowler. It is actually not that fast at all. You probably find that a few top bowlers playing local park cricket bowl at 120-130km.

The difficulty is not neccessarily in bowling the ball fast, but bowling it on the spot...consistently! That is my biggest problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)