*cries* So I think I failed the MX1 half yearly (1 Viewer)

britaker

HSC
Hello there.

So I sat the MX1 paper yesterday and uh, it didn't go so well. Obviously I haven't got any marks back yet though I'm genuinely convinced I failed. Paper was out of 50 and I couldn't do close to a quarter of it...obviously I put down stuff in the vain hope of "please give me one mark for the formula" but...gah.
Last assessment I was ranked =21/40 with a mark of 75% fyi, though I know some people have dropped the extension since then so I'm not confident I'll do so "well" this time.
The situation is; I'm on 11 units (4 units of English, bio, chem, 3 units of maths), is it worth it keeping the maths extension? I do cope with the content and understand the concepts (sometimes they take a while to sink in though :lol: ) but it's about 900x more work than all of my other subjects, and as a result I don't always study enough for other *2 unit* subjects, like chemistry.

Then again...10 units... :( Any ideas?

Kymren

HSC
Keep the 11 units as backup as you never know when you need it. Also its alot of work but i'm sure you are not the only one :)
Good advice.
I just dropped, Last week and I had a similar problem.
My old teacher set really hard tests and a good mark was over 50%, people rarely got over 70%. I went okay with about 48%, but the stress was just to much and I had 13 units.
With 11 units I'd keep it as long as possible if I were you, you can always drop it later if it doesn't work out.

britaker

HSC
Yep, fair enough, the marks are due back next week and I guess if I don't do that well hey, I have a spare unit that won't count :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
It's best to not dwell on past mistakes, but to move forward as Julia Gillard would say. Isn't that bit too much? 3 units of extensions you have. Are you coping? Personally I would drop 3 unit only if you are performing well in 4U english. That requires a lot of time and research and you don't want to be studying for MX1 which may not count as you can dedicate that time into EX2. But that's only if you are master in. English.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Reasons to keep MX1
- After you look at raw marks database, you will see the godly alignment, and then the scaling.
- It will help with your 2U content

Also you claim to spent a lot more time on it then your other subjects? You are doing it wrong. MX1 isn't that much workload. Just a small addition to 2u work.

britaker

HSC
It's best to not dwell on past mistakes, but to move forward as Julia Gillard would say. Isn't that bit too much? 3 units of extensions you have. Are you coping? Personally I would drop 3 unit only if you are performing well in 4U english. That requires a lot of time and research and you don't want to be studying for MX1 which may not count as you can dedicate that time into EX2. But that's only if you are master in. English.
Master in English perhaps not, I came first in both Adv. and EX1 in Y11 though. Marks or rank haven't really changed since then. :3

britaker

HSC
Also you claim to spent a lot more time on it then your other subjects? You are doing it wrong. MX1 isn't that much workload. Just a small addition to 2u work.
Ah. Allow me to clarify. I generalised a little, I spend 900x more time on *maths* as a subject than any of my other subjects. Obviously I don't spend all my time on exclusively extension 1 topics, that is doing it wrong I agree!

User5555555

HSC
Its not the end of the world, you have your trials. Don't dwell on the negative. Take me for example, I was bottom 10 for maths 2u in year 11, but now I'm 22nd. If you really put yourself to it and realise you have the potential to succeed, you will have a positive mindset and you can achieve better marks.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
11 units isn't a burden tbh. It's not like you're on 13/14 units. I would advise you to keep ext 1 maths, you never know when will it help you. I know some people who've dropped ext 1 maths and when they got their atar, they realised belatedly that they should've kept it since that 1 unit although it seems insignificant at the first place, could've help their atar increase by some more marks or even decimals.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hahaha omg I know how you feel about failing. Came out of two exams this week feeling completely demoralised and not in a good place. (I think I'm in a similar situation to you, didn't do like a quarter of the paper, except mine was for MX2)

But honestly, you have at least 60% of assessments left and there's bound to be one you "stuff up". I think you should definitely keep going with MX1 and specifically target the reasons why you're struggling? Like was it time management issues in the exam? Or was it something else? MX1 is definitely worth keeping because it helps a lot with 2U and tbh, it will probably count (considering its scaling, etc.) so it's a good extra unit to have as a back up. It definitely feels a bit risky having 4u eng, 2u math, chem and bio (but that's just my opinion)

Anyways, best of luck, I'm pretty sure you didn't "fail" your MX1 exam, I know people who do a lot worse and still persevere with it. They don't regret keeping it, so that's always a good sign haha

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I bombed 2/4 assessments, still managed to climb my way back up to first for biology.

asdfghjklmz

HSC
Had my ext math exam today and couldn't do 3 questions (curse you app of calculus to the physical world) which was 10 marks gone... I'm not even sure if I did the other questions correctly
Failed exam, barely passed the first. Failing hsc?

User5555555

HSC
Had my ext math exam today and couldn't do 3 questions (curse you app of calculus to the physical world) which was 10 marks gone... I'm not even sure if I did the other questions correctly
Failed exam, barely passed the first. Failing hsc?
You still have hope. If you're not a drifter/freerider or someone that does the bare minimum work to pass, then if you apply yourself and put in all of your effort, you have the potential to do well. As long as you're not bone lazy like me who crams 3 days before exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)