Crime Assessment Help.. (1 Viewer)

_BaadShah_

HSC
Hi

i got this question which i don't know how to answer it, but could people give some help so i can answer it..

Statement:
"After a surveillance operation, police stormed William French's house. They found illegal weapons, large quantities of heroin, and extensive files detailing several drug deals overseas. French, who has previously served a jail sentence for assault and drug trafficking, was later arrested. Police suspect French has information regarding the recent murders of three unknown criminals.
After a committal hearing in the local court, French is remanded in custody awaiting a Supreme Court trial where he will answer charges of drug trafficking and two counts of murder"

Questions:
a) What powers do police have to investigate the crime?
b) What rights does French have following his arrest?
c) Discuss the effectiveness of the legal system in ensuring a fair trial
d) To what extent is there a balance between the rights of victims and the rights of the accused under our legal system?..

Could people help me answer these questions..please..

cheers, ash

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
heres some help for you

a) What powers do police have to investigate the crime?
(here are some ideas of police powers in investigating crime)- search and seizure (with/without warrant of body/clothes/possession)
- impact of technology (tapping, surveillance, DNA)
- interrogation (possibility of verballing)

b) What rights does French have following his arrest?
French is the accused:
so his rights are:
*right of silence
*right to be taken before a justice or be released on bail
*right to be told to the right of silence
*The police usually allow a suspect to obtain legal advice, but this is not a right.
*legal representation- a de facto right (Dietrich v Queen 1992)-this set the precedent :)- if u refer to a precedent/case that will get u good marks!

c) Discuss the effectiveness of the legal system in ensuring a fair trial?
with this question assess the strengths and weaknesses of the legal system in ensuring a fair trial
*equality
*resource efficency
*accessibulity
*protection
*enforcability

d) To what extent is there a balance between the rights of victims and the rights of the accused under our legal system?

this makes it easier for you coz ive identified them for you...
now you just need to assess the "balance" as the question asks for

hope this helps u a bit
if u have any questions of need more help then contact me at joe_m_2000@hotmail.com
good luck :)

roadcone

HSC
what joe said ... plus remember to have enough LCMDs if u want really good marks, you'll get them in in parts c and d in crime generally, altho u may be able to slip some in earlier

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
roadcone said:
what joe said ... plus remember to have enough LCMDs if u want really good marks, you'll get them in in parts c and d in crime generally, altho u may be able to slip some in earlier
yeah if u can put some in...
thanks roadcone! i forgot to mention LCMDs...
i reckon he'll be right but
Baadshah if u hav any probs feel free 2 contact me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)