Crime fic: creative writing (1 Viewer)

dreamer7

HSC
Past EE1 students, please share your advice!

How did you prepare your imaginative piece for crime fiction? I know we're pretty early on in our studies, but I want to start thinking ahead.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Try creating several characters and scenarios that you can try out with each of the practice questions until you feel comfortable writing off of the top of your head. For example you might have a few favourite characters you like to play around with.

As for questions that involve characters from the set texts, try close readings of the texts and then try to rewrite a chapter from another character's perspective or change certain events and see how characters react.

Otherwise just read, read, read and write, write, write.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Read widely and absorb the style of writing that you like the most. There are so many possibilities with Crime Fiction, you really can link any sub-genre to the stimulus if you put your mind to it.

For me, I got really into mafia crime, gangster movies. The Sopranos, the Godfather, Chinatown. I watched/read all I could and took mental note of the style.

Then I practiced writing lots of stories, over and over again, and made myself create all these different characters. Eventually it becomes a fun thing, and you do it to relax. When I was writing pieces about body parts being dissolved in acid during the last 5 minutes of my maths exam, I knew I was ready...

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)