crime fiction creative bit (1 Viewer)

ditzychick

I was just wondering if anyone else is preparing a story or anything for the creative part? Because i am having real trouble coming up with a concept for a prepared story that includes the conventions, and am really worried that if i cant even prepare a story how am i gona write an impromptu one in the exam????? Any one have any tips to make it a bit easier?

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Bleeeeeeah. I always have a stock of crime fiction scenarios that I take in with me. So, no idea what you're going to be doing. The easiest thing, in my humble opinion, is to stick to those conventions that you mentioned if that's what they asked for. And do something simple, so you can let your creativity and fresh approach to the genre shine!

Excuse me. I've eaten way too much cream today.

Ok. From me to you (not that you care):
1. Have some basic plot. Doesn't matter how stupid it is - you're not going to have to write the whole story. But get it in your head who did it, why, and the nature of your detective etc.
2. Take a new perspective. You don't have to be the detective. Of course being the cat is a bit "eh".
3. Don't do the crime. Far too hard to do effectively. If you want, you can do the detective taking on the case, or show the effect of the crime on the person's family (if you're working with a murder), or whatever.
4. Conventions, conventions, conventions. They can be overdone, so watch it. Don't slap the markers in the face with them.
5. I can't think. I'm tired and lazy.

Someone else can list the rest.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
wat was ur HSC mark for 3u eng McLake?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I have a couple of ideas (Stories I wrote earlier this year), but will probably end up having to improvise, unless the question is suitable.

Do they mind satirical stories? (One of my ideas, 'Death By Murder', is composed of many many cliches.. Wondering if the adventures of Phillip Spade Holmes would amuse markers. ;))

ditzychick

Thanks everyone for ur replies... i think i am gona come up with an outline and hope to god i can fit it to the question. Thanku all heaps.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
My impromptu creatives always end up way too gory, complicated, and revolve around food...

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Can they ask us to write in a specific sub-genre in the creative for CF, like police procedural or something?
I think my teacher said something along the lines of this
god i hope its not true

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Personally? I don't think they will. What they'd probably writie is something more along the lines of *thinks*. Hang on a sec, the trial had a question like this:

"Compose your own text to illustrate the nature of the genre you have studied for this elective. This composition could be a complete text, or it could be a significant section of a longer text.

Your composition should target a contemporary audience."

I think that's more of what they're likely to be asking than any one specific sub-genre. That would exclude too many people.

Inca

Are they going to ask us to write a whole story?
If they say 'write a story', can I write an extract?

Im okay for the exam, but Im freaking out about the creative cause im scared its gonna be a whole story, which i cant write in an hour.... HELP!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Only if you can begin and conclude it like a story, Inca :p
so in other words, no.

I don't know the conventions of crime fiction..
but as far as short stories go:

create plot exits as you write, or while you're planning your story. give your characters a chance to move on, find out some vital information, etc.

limit your characters - don't have so many that you can't remember their names. use your own name if you think it'll be easier to write.

know your ending before you start writing.

and.. umm.. stuff. ;)

starlyte

Originally posted by Daemontreu
My impromptu creatives always end up way too gory, complicated, and revolve around food...
not always. in the trials i wrote about a wannabe pig detective who was rich but fell in love with a bombshell with great teats. there was no food in it!

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Meh... lucky. My teacher was like: "Why are your creatives always so violent?"

Oooh.... another thing. Referring to characters that you've just made up by their first name can be confusing. It's easier to stick with last names, because they're more inidividual.

badlysketched

Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
I have a couple of ideas (Stories I wrote earlier this year), but will probably end up having to improvise, unless the question is suitable.

Do they mind satirical stories? (One of my ideas, 'Death By Murder', is composed of many many cliches.. Wondering if the adventures of Phillip Spade Holmes would amuse markers. ;))

dude u know theres actually a movie called that! be careful its not like that storyline (ie that a guy gets all the worlds best detectives in a secluded mansion and they havta solve the crime to prove that they are the best detectives... it has each type of detective ie mrs marple, marlowe, etc and a series of people in disguises... it was a very silly movie)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by badlysketched
dude u know theres actually a movie called that! be careful its not like that storyline (ie that a guy gets all the worlds best detectives in a secluded mansion and they havta solve the crime to prove that they are the best detectives... it has each type of detective ie mrs marple, marlowe, etc and a series of people in disguises... it was a very silly movie)
Thanks for the info. I thought there might be a movie of that name, as it's deliberately cliche.

The 'plot' of my 'Death By Murder' however, differs, generally following the progression of CF, with such shocking twists as a seedy nightclub named 'The Under Belly' located beneath 'Perfectly Legitimate Business', and so-on.. Hmm...

*Alters name slightly*
Death By A Criminal Act. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)