Crime Fiction - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
related texts

can u give me some ideas 4 related texts? i know we can read a sherlock holmes and an agatha christie, but what other books/short stories are there and where can i find them?
also, can u recommend any movies/tv shows etc. that may b useful.

Jinglebell

HSC
what module and texts are you doing in class? coz my 19th century related texts aren't gonna cut it for crime fiction, etc.

check the other threads as well, i posted a whole long list for 'individual and society', and there's a number of discussions on other modules that i'm sure might have suggestions...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
A few ideas:

- Silent Witness
- Any cop show on ABC Friday night crime
- Insomnia (now on VHS & DVD)
- Edgar Allan Poe

PS: I edited the name of this thread, try to be more descrpitive next time.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
sorry, i 4got not all eng ext ppl do crime fiction! so thanx 4 changin the name!

and thanks 4 the ideas... i'll check them out!

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
i would suggest running through all the different sub-genres you can think of, psychlogical thriller, paraody, film noir, tart noir (female crime fiction) as well as soft and hard boiled and try and get an example of each of them. thats what i did anyway and i ended up with an E4 for this last year.

yr12

HSC
ok well heres the ones we have been suggested in class

-Hound of the Baskervilles (film or novel version, I recommend the film its actually quite good)
- The murders in the Rue Morgue, The case of the Purloined letter, The Pit and the Pendulum (Edgar Allan Poe)
-Short Crime stories (try and source 'Shadow Ally' compiled by Lucy Sussex)
-The life and Crimes of ______ Lavender (its by Marelle Day, Australian writer)
-Any of the cop/law shows (white collar blue, law and order bla bla bla)
-The maltese Falcon (film noir)

malayz_angel

The Life And Crimes of Harry Lavender..yeah I read that..it's actually a pretty good text because you can put all that stuff about stereotypical views of detectives and how they have been applied to the narrator, Claudia Valentine

elfgal

christopher brookmyre is a good author if you don't really like crime fiction much (like me). he's a satirist, so there are elements of a lot of other genres in his books too

i also did carmen sandiego (you know the really ancient computer game?) as a sup text..that was a last minute thing which provided me with an excuse to procrastinate on the weekend before the hsc in the name of study...but it worked pretty well

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
THANK U guys so much!! that healped heaps! i went 2 the lib and typed crime fiction and basically nothing came up, but when i typed these in i found stuff!

malayz_angel

Also you could compare authors like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) and Agatha Christie to more contemporary authors like Ruth Rendell, Minette Walters and Patricia Cornwell.

question about the texts i want to use...

i'm looking at using alias and spooks, as contrasting examples of crime fiction on tv today (international organised crime), and doing a bit of the american vs english crime thing...

but looking at the two shows on the surface, are they just TOO pop culture? (or, then again, could i use that to my advantage and go on about the genre and how it's so often best suited to pop culture conventions - the pulps, all the film noir etc??)

EDIT: This is now a new thread: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9439

Last edited by a moderator:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
hey post a new thread coz u'll probably get more replies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)