• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Crime Fiction: TBS Vs. Murder by Numbers (1 Viewer)

BabyKat

Katti_Love
HSC
hey everyone, im doing as assessment in which i will compare The Big Sleep and Murder By Numbers. i will compare the two in terms of conventions evident, historical, cultural and social aspects of the contexts of each film, film techniques, link between text and context, and i just need a little bit of help if anyone can?

in terms of conventions presented, TBS is a hard-boiled text of film noir and i'm a tad confused about which category MBN would fit into, in that it has a sleuth-hero (Cassie), detailed plausible setting, denouement, dangerous situations, personal danger for hero, red-herrings, continuous violence, detective problems behind the scenes, organised crime and corruption as the enemy, wealth as a corrupting factor and an alienated and isolated hero. are there any other conventions i have overlooked, there are no notes on this so it's simply my own work, in terms of Murder by Numbers.

also when talking about the "fluidity" of the genre, what exactly are you refrring to? and do the "values and attitudes demonstrated in the film" refer to the context, as in what values aree portrayed in relation to the context of the text?

any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks

know_it_all

well..i wonder wat school u go to!
im having so much trouble with my speech and its going overtime!

first, give it sum structure
wrk out the order in which u will present the ideas
then incorporate ur prescribed n compare/contrast with ur related
also involve the film excerpt

discuss how the contexts influence and shape meaning...u no how to do that
MBN is modern..blah blah
TBS is film noir...yadayada

talk bout the conventions used
n how the texts are REPRESENTATIVE of the CF genre
hehe

--> wen talking bout values, look at those embedded within the text...like of the characters n also mention if they r a reflection of its context or rather a mockery of that particular period

like u no wen we did pleasantville...u discuss the role of women n all that... n show that cos its a contemporary film, it challenges such ideas...

Last edited by a moderator:

BabyKat

Katti_Love
HSC
:d

lolz, ur a doll steph, its so much harder than i thought. . . .

yeah my problem is i have no structure, im not sure whether to talk about MBN by itself than TBS then compare or how to integrate the 2 together. . .haha trust ur overtime, u always are :D, how did u structure yours?

argh :(

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
is Murder by Numbers the one with Sandra Bullock and shes investigating some crime and it turns out the same thing happened to her?? or am i thinking of a different one...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)