Criminal Justice Issue... (1 Viewer)

InHa

HSC
Hi everyone.
Just wondering if you guys could list some good Australian criminal justice issues or some sites that i could go to in order to relate the issue to the effeciency and effectiveness of various legal measures in acheiving justice.

Thanks! :D

Blondiee

a few good issues you could do include victims of crime, plea bargaining or alternative sentencing

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
mehh.. if u saw my thread u would have seen that i was asking the same thing.. ne ways.. i decided on mandatory sentencing..

i heard that discretion is a good one to do thou

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
ooops .. changed to jury duty.. so much more info

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
a really good one is double jeopardy... there is a case in qld where a guy who so obviously murdered this little girl got off becuase of lack of evidence but now through new forensic techniques their seems to be enough evidence to prove that the bastard did it. Only problem is that he cannot under the rule of double jeopard be tried for the same crime twice. this is the issue that i did last year, im not sure where u can get info but i know that there was an australian story on it on the abc, you could search their site and find some info

InHa

HSC
Thanks to Blondieee, SKA, and imsooverskool!!
you guys are awesome=)
Keep up with the suggestions...hmmm....that double jeopardy one sounds like an interesting one...better get some research done!

adamj

Criminal Justice also refers to enforcement of crime and the outcome.

Issues here are how we treat victims of crime differently from criminals, whilst this is not the case generally. Often a victimised child may grow up to commit offences themselves.

Another issue is sexual assualt. We see sexual assualt as being something committed by a stranger, yet many assaults are committed by people the victim knows.

White collar crime is another problem. The term was coined by Edwin Sutherland when he said that although lower classes commit street crimes, the higher classes are able to commit crimes as well and furthermore get away with it. You could explore how the Australian Securities and Investments Commission take action, and compare it with the police, a good point to start with is John Braithewaite's model that ASIC will start off enforcement by (in order):

-Ignoring complaint;
-Educating Complaintant on how to avoid this in the future;
-Notifying the Company;
-Notifying the public of practices;
-Administrative Penalty;
-Revke license/prosecution.

Remember that Governemnts don't want to intervene in the private sector, and need to keep a balance, anything the Government do to a company, can destroy investor confidence in that company leading to a collapse.

santaslayer

HSC
stuff like the nature of the adversarial system, its role, significance and the comparison between that and the inquisitrial system.
u could discuss the pros and cons of both systems in achieveing justice!

adamj

Originally posted by santaslayer
stuff like the nature of the adversarial system, its role, significance and the comparison between that and the inquisitrial system.
u could discuss the pros and cons of both systems in achieveing justice!
The adversarial system does have some pros and cons, in regard to this, one could mention how many cornerstones of our legal system are doctrines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)