Criminology and criminal law? (1 Viewer)

Marin3 Muscl3

Amatuer boxer 14-1-11RSC
HSC
Yo i was wondering if anybody knows the current uai to get into criminology this year. Also im planning on doing criminal law, but i dont think i will achieve the uai. Someone told me that i can do criminology then transfer to criminal law. Does anybody know if this is true? And if so, how long do i have to do the course before i can transfer? Thanks for your help.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
B Social Science (where you can major in criminology) had a cut off of 65 last year. It would probably be around that for next year entry.

You can try and transfer to B Social Science/B Laws after a year of study as I don't think the B Social Science/B Laws is usually offered to mid year applicants. The cut off for the combined social science/law was 90 the past 2 years.

Just so you know there's no such thing as a 'criminal law' course.

Marin3 Muscl3

Amatuer boxer 14-1-11RSC
HSC
ari89 said:
B Social Science (where you can major in criminology) had a cut off of 65 last year. It would probably be around that for next year entry.

You can try and transfer to B Social Science/B Laws after a year of study as I don't think the B Social Science/B Laws is usually offered to mid year applicants. The cut off for the combined social science/law was 90 the past 2 years.

Just so you know there's no such thing as a 'criminal law' course.
Thanks. Lol soz about the criminal law thing. On the link you gave me it says the study mode is five years full-time. Will i be able to complete the course part-time?

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You want to spend 10 years at uni?

I don't know if they would let you do it part-time? I didn't know anyone is UWS law doing it and I know at Mac you need special permission.

One thing you could do is do three subjects rather than four or something, but it will take you longer.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Yeah part time would take forever. But note that the contact hours for full time law aren't even close to a full time science degree.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Contact hours for Arts/Soc Sci Law = 12-14hrs/week but keep in mind a shit load of reading is involved.

I do full time uni, 8-12hrs work a week + mooting/mentoring that keeps me busy

Marin3 Muscl3

Amatuer boxer 14-1-11RSC
HSC
melsc said:
You want to spend 10 years at uni?

I don't know if they would let you do it part-time? I didn't know anyone is UWS law doing it and I know at Mac you need special permission.

One thing you could do is do three subjects rather than four or something, but it will take you longer.

Oh ok. So completing the course part-time will take forever. Do you know the amount of hours per week i might be looking at or nah?I dont understand the three subject thingalso lol. What the hell is that now?

P.s. Im not stupid, but shit this is confusing lol...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Soc/Sci Law would be about 12-14hrs per week plus reading which differs per subject.

Generally a full study load is four subjects per semester, if you did three per semester you would have fewer hours at uni but overall it would take you longer but not as much as part-time as part time is only two subjects.

At UWS you need 400 credit points for a combined law degree and each subject is 10 credit points. So if you do three subjects thats 30 credit points that means it will take you longer than if you were doing 40 credit points (or four subjects per semester).

Marin3 Muscl3

Amatuer boxer 14-1-11RSC
HSC
melsc said:
Soc/Sci Law would be about 12-14hrs per week plus reading which differs per subject.

Generally a full study load is four subjects per semester, if you did three per semester you would have fewer hours at uni but overall it would take you longer but not as much as part-time as part time is only two subjects.

At UWS you need 400 credit points for a combined law degree and each subject is 10 credit points. So if you do three subjects thats 30 credit points that means it will take you longer than if you were doing 40 credit points (or four subjects per semester).
Thanks alot. I spoke to my school year advisor about this too. Thanks anyway

X-terc

HSC
N/A
Really ? to do law at UWS is only 90? I thought it would be around 95 ish. Is it better to do an Arts/Law degree ?
And really how hard is law in university? I have great interest in law -- its just i think i wont be able to get the uai to get in.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
X-terc said:
Really ? to do law at UWS is only 90? I thought it would be around 95 ish. Is it better to do an Arts/Law degree ?
And really how hard is law in university? I have great interest in law -- its just i think i wont be able to get the uai to get in.
You can get in with as low as 80, if you reside in western sydney and get a band 5 or 6 in legal students so yeah 5 point reduction bonus for each.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
It is possible to do part-time at UWS for law, two subjects or less is considered part-time. Also both full-time and part-time students can elect to do some night classes. FLEXIBLE!

The 2008 UAI was 90 but it can fluctuate.
BONUS POINTS: I would recommend reading the information for yourself. Quick overview; UWS does offer three advantages for Greater Western Sydney Students
  • Regional Bonus
  • Subject Bonus
  • Early Offer
http://future.uws.edu.au/tripleadvantage

Hey also because it may interest you guys, UWS was recently very successful at the Australian Law Students Association conference (where thirty-three Australian law schools competed). They took home the first prize in the moot and also the best oralist. http://pubapps.uws.edu.au/news/index.php?act=view&story_id=2249

The UWS open day is actually on this Sunday August 17th. Why don’t you go along and watch the staff and students in action at the moot court
http://www.yourfuture.uws.edu.au/events/open_day

It’s not actually possible to ‘transfer’ in. Generally to change courses you are required to reapply through the UAC. If you have done 1 year of uni, you can apply for the B Laws (non-Graduate Entry) which is a 4 year program.

However, ari89 vbmenu_register("postmenu_3522111", true); is right about the fact that some University study can assist you getting into Uni. It gives you a better academic ranking. When assessing applicants that aren’t completing the HSC in the year they apply, UWS uses four criteria:
1. HSC or equivalent
2. Tafe or tertiary study
3. Work experience
4. STAT (Special Tertiary Admissions Test)
Each of these four are given a rank out of 100 and the highest is what they use to see if you can get a place.

See this Link: http://yourfuture.uws.edu.au/applynow/ncsl_ug it’s quite good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)