criminology job opportunities (1 Viewer)

JTwin

HSC
hey, i'm thinking of doing a bachelor of criminology and criminal justice or bachelor of social science (criminology), and if i can get the ATAR a double degree with law (which is not very likely).
i'm just wondering what the job opportunities are with this? is it a good way to get into the legal system without doing law? and would it help me to get a job in courts, not as a lawyer though?

Gmac_0

HSC
I wouldn't have thought criminology would help much in courts, I've always associated it more with something like the police force. In a court, what job could you really get with it? Obviously the judge/magistrate is going to have a law degree, as well as the barristers and solicitors of both parties. There are though also tipstaff's and judges associates - I'm not sure what these guys need - don't think a tipstaff would have a law degree, can' say for associate.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
AFAIK if you want to do much more than administrative work in the courts, you're going to need a law degree.

Associates tend to be recent law graduates or junior lawyers. Idk about tipstaffs but I'd imagine the same.

compache

HSC
N/A
I know a number of criminology graduates who are now doing law with myself...because of lack of jobs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)