Critical part of John Donne (1 Viewer)

ssj_goku

Hi, can anyone tell me exactly how much of this is based on critics and how much is purely independent analysis of the text. So far I've focused my response on the critics (Johnson and Eliot), and their contexts, and bringing in my own analysis of both as well as the poems themselves along the way. Should this be right or should I make more content based more on the text itself.:cool:

Last edited:

Linda

:)

what you said was perfectly right.
the main part of your essay should be about the analysis of the poems with critics here and there and make sure you come to own conclusion - without obviously refering to yourself.
you're on the rite track, you'll do fine!!!

Ringo

Hmmmm, I use critical theory, and basically I explore Donne within the confines of that theory. Dunno if thats right, hopefully so :D

mememe

Will they ask a question on textual integrity? It's all through the syllabus.

silvi@cghs

i think textual integrity thing.....
the point of making us do critics is to make us aware of textual integrity....to analyse and yeh....
but i dont think u actually have to write about it....
cos ive never seen it......and then.....that means.....im.....more screwed than i already am......errrrrrr........

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the essay should be half half, u have to have a balance between the actual textual anaylsis of the poems, where u discuss his outstanding wit and appropriate use of poetic techniques to shape meaning - and also u then discuss how different contexts shape different values and how this applies to the critics of Donne. So long as you dont leave out the actual analysis of the poetry, u should be fine

ssj_goku

Minai, I'm pretty sure I've got a good balance now, but at the moment some of my analysis of Donne's actual work is done while looking at the critics. Is there any problem with this, or should they be kept separate?

huck fenn

but the critics hardly said anything specific about the poems we're studying. I throw in some quotes at the beginning and at the end, show that different people have responded in different ways, I takl about how his style resonates with our modernist sensibilities, and how in the past he was rejected. But the main body of my essay is my own analysis. I do mention when we makes a controversial statement, which is often, and i mention that feminazis may have something to say bout it or that religious types would be upset.

Is it really that necessary to frame your whole thing around what other people have said?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You can do it both ways, and each should be fine so long as you can sustain your argument, provide evidence (from the poems) to support this argument, and most importantly - answer the question.

I wrote my essay basically with my own analysis - from my contextual point of view - yet at the same time I acknowledged why his techniques/ideas were frowned upon because of differing values etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)