critics articles (1 Viewer)

HSC
Does anyone have any recommendations for critic/scholar articles for Mod B TS Eliot?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I have never heard of these - can someone please explain why we need these / where we would use them???
basically critical readings are pieces written by academic scholars (eg. university-level, even masters/doctorates in english literature, or just general scholars in english) analysing certain parts of the text and arguing certain viewpoints that goes way beyond your standard literature courses in high school - for example, there are scholars that argue that great expectations has a marxist lens because of the themes of social class and capitalism in the book - they write about that in literature magazines, as part of masters' thesis, etc.

in module b, you're meant to develop your own distinct perspective of the text in a process similar to how critics do it - read other critics' perspectives, agree or disagree with them, then develop your own thing (but ofc at a much lower level). one way to develop that is by reading these critics' perspectives. though it's a mod b thing, i've been using them for common module and mod a too because i steal a lot of my ideas and analysis from them. but in terms of mod b, some schools say you should quote them, some schools (like mine) say you don't - nesa doesn't say you should (before they used to make it compulsory or smth so i've heard, but my english teacher said people would just make up critics' quotes in the exam so that was a bit redundant).

tldr: critical readings in mod b, u read them, but you don't need to quote any critics for the hsc

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
basically critical readings are pieces written by academic scholars (eg. university-level, even masters/doctorates in english literature, or just general scholars in english) analysing certain parts of the text and arguing certain viewpoints that goes way beyond your standard literature courses in high school - for example, there are scholars that argue that great expectations has a marxist lens because of the themes of social class and capitalism in the book - they write about that in literature magazines, as part of masters' thesis, etc.

in module b, you're meant to develop your own distinct perspective of the text in a process similar to how critics do it - read other critics' perspectives, agree or disagree with them, then develop your own thing (but ofc at a much lower level). one way to develop that is by reading these critics' perspectives. though it's a mod b thing, i've been using them for common module and mod a too because i steal a lot of my ideas and analysis from them. but in terms of mod b, some schools say you should quote them, some schools (like mine) say you don't - nesa doesn't say you should (before they used to make it compulsory or smth so i've heard, but my english teacher said people would just make up critics' quotes in the exam so that was a bit redundant).

tldr: critical readings in mod b, u read them, but you don't need to quote any critics for the hsc
do you have any good critic readings for 1984 / tempseed / smelliot???

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
i don't do any of those texts so i don't sorry :(
but you can check out jstor for some
what do you generally search for when you look for critic articles? i have tried before for things like mod c reflections lol but it never gets good results

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
what do you generally search for when you look for critic articles? i have tried before for things like mod c reflections lol but it never gets good results
when i went looking for critical readings myself i already had a basic idea of what to write (or at least a general grasp of the themes of the text), so i'd just search up on google '[desired theme/idea/concept] [name of text] jstor' and then read the article depending on if the title addresses what i want

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)