Crobat's Guide To HSC English Advanced. (1 Viewer)

Jonaldo7

HSC
Do you wanna tutor me hahah?
Hello fellow BoSers!

So recently I've been getting flooded with emails from people asking to buy my materials and give essay marking feedback/exam advice but I've been too busy to give anything comprehensive and quite lazy to attach everything to individual emails so I've decided to just give all the advice I can in one megapost, and give out materials here for free too (if I can figure out how MediaFire works anyway). A disclaimer that some of the advice you will find questionable and others you will might outright disagree with. I welcome discussion of anything I say in the comments below, and also I am happy for other users to give any further advice I have missed there too. This advice is simply what I lived by and used to achieve a mark of 96 in English Advanced and 49 in Extension One English during my HSC year.

A bit about me - I graduated 1st in English Advanced and 1st in Extension English One from a 20-30 ranking Selective School and a recipient of the "Macquarie University Partner School Award for Academic Excellence in English." I used to also tutor English with my highest improved student having moved from an average of 6-8/20 to 16+/20 within 3 months at a high ranking Private school. All of my HSC students last year received a Band 6. I am now studying a Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Laws at UTS.

Let me make it clear that while I am giving out my materials for free, I do not endorse or give permission for using my material in any sale for your own benefit in any circumstance. If you do, I will refer you to a Moderator who will take care of the situation.

I'll structure by starting out with general tips and then honing in mainly on exam techniques. I will not go into detail what each Module expects from you, you will do so in class numerous times and even if not, there are an illimitable amount of resources on the internet to provide that information to you. I will, however, provide general tips on how you can write a response to the Module essays, including mostly what concepts you should keep in mind.

The post itself is too long so I will break it down into sections that are pasted in the comments below. A table of contents:

1. General Tips and Advice
2. Essay Writing - How to structure it. What to include. Should or shouldn't I memorise?
3. Exam Techniques
a. Paper 1 – Section 1
b. Paper 1 – Section 2
c. Essay Responses
i. Belonging
ii. Module A
iii. Module B
iv. Module C

By the end of this guide I hope to have answered a number of questions you may have had regarding the subject, and possibly even set your mind straight about how to approach this subject regardless of whether or not you enjoy it.

All the best in your studies, and I hope you get as much out of English Advanced as you can. :)

Sp3ctre

HSC
Module C

A good way to structure you body paragraphs would be to use 2 discussion points, 4 paragraphs - 1 on each text for each discussion point.
I have a question regarding the structuring of an essay for module C. As mentioned above you can focus 2 paragraphs for each text, but my teacher emphasises that we should not be balancing both texts on a 50/50 basis but rather 70/30, which means 2 body paragraphs for each text would not work for that composition. What should I be doing and do HSC markers really care that much about how much you talk about each text?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I have a question regarding the structuring of an essay for module C. As mentioned above you can focus 2 paragraphs for each text, but my teacher emphasises that we should not be balancing both texts on a 50/50 basis but rather 70/30, which means 2 body paragraphs for each text would not work for that composition. What should I be doing and do HSC markers really care that much about how much you talk about each text?
I don't think Crobat uses the forum anymore. Definitely DO NOT do 70/30. At max do 60/40 but 70/30 is way too unbalanced. I'd recommend 50/50

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)