CS students: what are your electives? (1 Viewer)

_santa

HSC
Well, since we have a lot of them, I'm wondering how is everyone choosing theirs? Are you pursuing a minor, or just do a lot of different stuff?
If you are in anything higher than first year-first semester, please tell us what electives you did and what you think of them.
If you are a first year, what will you choose next semester?

I wish I could just do that 'Professional Ethics' thingy next term (it's a core course for 2nd year), so I will never have to hear about it again. Starting 2009 it costs 6uoc and yes I think it's too much.

_santa

HSC
ahaha...I dont think we first years could do those, though. Thanks anyway.

_santa

HSC
oh, so you want advice on free electives? you should probably ask in the general unsw forum then. I thought you were asking about COMP courses... you probably won't be able to take any COMP electives in first year

are you taking Discrete Maths this session? if so, take Finite Mathematics next session, I think Ian Doust is teaching it so it should be great
Yeah I am. Is Finite Maths that good? It sounds kinda interesting. Thanks! Could you recommend me any non-comp courses that are useful for CS? (except for elec eng, I'm not interested...)

_santa

HSC
Thanks. May I ask how many maths courses you did?
I think I should do Linear Alg since I'm interested in Graphics, but I'm not sure about this. It's probably too much for 1st year anyway.
By the way, do you think it's ok to do Finite Maths without doing Maths 1B first?
Thanks again.

oh, about elec eng..I somehow lost interest, I guess. I want to focus on multimedia/graphics instead.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
linear algebra (math2601) is excellent. i learnt more about graphics there than in comp3421. you won't be able to do it in first year though. but you could attend some lectures if you have free time
do you recon the non higher one math2501 is just as good, or does it miss heaps out? (i didn't do the higher 1a or 1b maths)

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
oh, so you want advice on free electives? you should probably ask in the general unsw forum then. I thought you were asking about COMP courses... you probably won't be able to take any COMP electives in first year

are you taking Discrete Maths this session? if so, take Finite Mathematics next session, I think Ian Doust is teaching it so it should be great
I had a chat to Doust on Wednesday to ask him for some help with discrete (not that he knew much about the content, but he tried anyway). He said he was doing Finite next semester, but he didn't know the content at the time :p

_santa

HSC
Right now I'm still really confused. I wonder what electives most CS students chose in the past? Except for Physics.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I've done philosophy and psychology as electives, but thats what I was already interested in beforehand *shrugs*

I intend to look into doing either economics or information systems as my next couple of electives

_santa

HSC
Could you recommend me a 3uoc course please?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
thats the mysterious black hole that me and my friends haven't sorted out yet. It doesn't hurt to take on a 6UOC course anyway...you have completed the minimum UOC required to graduate

_santa

HSC
I'm doing Finite next sem, and since it's 3uoc, I want another 3uoc course to go with it..Saving credits for later courses. Should I just do a 6uoc instead? If that's the case, I'll have to overload 3uoc, would that be a problem?

Thanks for replying!

LordPc

HSC
I'm doing Finite next sem, and since it's 3uoc, I want another 3uoc course to go with it..Saving credits for later courses. Should I just do a 6uoc instead? If that's the case, I'll have to overload 3uoc, would that be a problem?

Thanks for replying!
it really depends on what you are overloading with. like if you were to take PHIL2002, its a 6 UoC course but with only 3 contact hours. so I dont think it would be that much of a problem if you were to overload with a course like that.

but if you were to take ELEC1111 which has something like 6 contact hours, then you might find overloading a bit tougher

(btw, tell me how finite works out. I'm thinking of doing it next year)

_santa

HSC
Alright, I'll be sure to rant about it by the end of this year.

btw do you know what the other people in CS are choosing? Somehow all the people I know are comp eng-ers.

_santa

HSC
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~teachadmin/lecture_times/08s2/COMP/1927.html

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~teachadmin/lecture_times/09s2/COMP/1927.html

those are the courses that people doing COMP1927 also enrolled in, in session 2 last year and session 2 this year

ps. this years page will probably update regularly. last year, finite ran in session 1, which is why nobody was taking it in session 2
Thanks! That page would be really useful. How do you know it exists?

Yes I do plan to do History of Maths later, so that should be fine. It seems that year 1 CS is more broad than deep? You've got many electives but all the COMP courses need year1/2 pre-req...so it's either copying the comp eng people or taking some random electives?

Just curious, what courses did you do in your first year?

Vylen

HSC
As a note, doing 27 UOC a semester isn't overloading - cause its the maximum amount of UOC you can do... 30 UOC on the other hand is overloading...

It's not totally uncommon for people to do 27 UOC... im doing so next semester - and i've done it a few other times.

conversely, its not uncommon for people to do less than 24 UOC and just extend their degree by a semester or two

dvse

HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)