CS timetable: trying to get 4 days a week (1 Viewer)

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
<line>I've been trying to get 4 days into the week rather than 5 and this is what I've been able to come up with(see attatchment). I get friday off but it means that I would have to spend tuesday from 9am to 8pm at uni plus travel time that's almost 13 hours!:burn:

Is it worth it?</line>

edit, nvm, got it to work out without a bad day :)

I've started to write a program to try and fit my classes in more efficiently, but it looks like that's gonna take longer than finding a better way just by fiddling around a bit more :rofl:

also, that engineering course clashes with itself, but people tell me I should just enrol because the times work out right (it only clashes in the visual version of the time table not the text version o_O)

edit2: now I'm struggling to choose whether I should do physics or economics as my elective :confused:

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
I feel that you would find ordinary maths (math1131) more comfortable to study than higher maths (math1141), judging from your HSC result.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
I thought math 1131 and 1141 are basically the same except that one of them goes through the material a bit faster and in more depth, is it that much harder to do math1141?

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
[edit]
Ah you chose Pattern B and got a 4-day week! You just gave me an idea... :D
chucknthem said:
I thought math 1131 and 1141 are basically the same except that one of them goes through the material a bit faster and in more depth, is it that much harder to do math1141?
From the handbook for MATH1141:
Description
As for MATH1131 but in greater depth.
Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and Extension 2. Students will be expected to have achieved a combined mark of at least 186 in Mathematics Extension 1 and Extension 2.
So 1131 is like 4-unit, and 1141 is like an extension of 4-unit I guess... 5-unit? haha
& Remember that you only have half a year to cover the course, it's not like high school :p

btw someone tell me if this was a good move or not..

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
MATH1141 and MATH1131 dont necessarily cover the same thing. In the areas where the topics covered are the same, MATH1141 questions are a lot harder. Also theres harder topics not taught at all in MATH1131

gman03

HSC
acmilan said:
MATH1141 and MATH1131 dont necessarily cover the same thing. In the areas where the topics covered are the same, MATH1141 questions are a lot harder. Also theres harder topics not taught at all in MATH1131
Yeah that's basically what I meant. I am not saying you will get bad marks if you do higher (as you will probably get the same mark whether you do one or the other anyway) but I feel that you should enjoy your first semester as well as enjoy your day-off!

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
well, I skimmed throught the syllabus here and it says that I can do the course for about a month and still drop down to 1131 without penalty, plus, "Marks
in Higher Mathematics 1A will be scaled so that students in the Higher course are not at any disadvantage compared to students in the ordinary course MATH1131". I don't mind the challenge, so I might try it out :)

@ syper, I've come up with something similar to that as well, but that 7 hour beast on Tuesday doesn't look too friendly, and I couldn't get rid of it :( So I might go with economics instead of physics since the timetable fit well enough to have good times for lunch :)

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
That's true, thou when I did it a few years back I didn't notice the challenge until the final exam where they had 2/6 questions replaced with harder questions.

It is probably a good idea to compare the past exam paper when you get the copy of 2007 maths notes and see then.

Good luck!

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
thanks for your concern :p, are those past papers easily obtainable?

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
chucknthem said:
thanks for your concern :p, are those past papers easily obtainable?
They are part of standard first year lecture notes pack you get from the bookshop.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
chucknthem said:
@ syper, I've come up with something similar to that as well, but that 7 hour beast on Tuesday doesn't look too friendly, and I couldn't get rid of it :( So I might go with economics instead of physics since the timetable fit well enough to have good times for lunch :)
Yeah good idea. I would so do that but I'm not very interested in economics..

Are you allowed to eat during tutes or lectures? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)