CSE email (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
You should go to a cse lab and use the sirius system to register. From home you could use an ssh client to check your mail, or even better, a pop3 client (eg outlook, but dont use outlook!).

I got someone sending me a "re:hello" message with a .pif attachment. Lucky i wasnt using outlook, or else a stupid foolish click could do unwanted things to my comp...

Inhuman

HSC
ok, thanks, I already did the sirius thing but i forgot to write down what Richard said about our cse mail so I wasn't sure of the address.

Anywho... off to 1711 forums!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
You should go to a cse lab and use the sirius system to register. From home you could use an ssh client to check your mail, or even better, a pop3 client (eg outlook, but dont use outlook!).

I got someone sending me a "re:hello" message with a .pif attachment. Lucky i wasnt using outlook, or else a stupid foolish click could do unwanted things to my comp...
A note about using mail.

Every time you log into CSE (while at uni or remotely) your CSE is download to your uni account (and hence is not accesable from the pop account). If this is not the behaviour you want then create an expty file called ".noautomail" in your home directory. This, unfortunatly, means that no mail is downloaded, even when you open "pine" (or any other appropriate mail program you choose to use). To combat this, type "getmail" in your UNIX terminal to download the latest mail if you have the .noautomail file ...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Ah ok, i'll reconfigure that thing later when there's someone to guide me step by step (thinks mentor) :D.

Originally posted by Inhuman
ok, thanks, I already did the sirius thing but i forgot to write down what Richard said about our cse mail so I wasn't sure of the address.

Anywho... off to 1711 forums!
It's scary, no chit-chat forums to talk or spam... Look for a yoda avatared guy there (me) :)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by zoodboog
Just login using Putty etc and type:

Code:
touch .noautomail
then all new mail will stay on the POP server for Outlook/etc to grab. I couldn't see a way to move the already received mail to a folder that Outlook could read, though.
So with that line, pine won't empty your mailserver?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Just login using Putty etc and type:

Code:
touch .noautomail
then all new mail will stay on the POP server for Outlook/etc to grab. I couldn't see a way to move the already received mail to a folder that Outlook could read, though.
Foward it to yourself!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
is there a way to forward them as seperate emails in Elm though? (i've never used it before this week... ) like I mean, can I somehow tell Elm to forward an entire folder (there are about 35 messages) to _____, sending them one email at a time, but without having to send them all manually myself?

I only ask because last time I tried to forward old mail to a new account, it ended up being 1 message continaing 50 or 60 message attachments :(
I don't think you can ...

On another note, I just learnt a great trick today. If you are doing what I suggested with .noautomail but you want to use getmail to read at uni, and then have it availble at home as well then you can use "getmail -s" which will leave a copy in the mailbox so that you can download it at home ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Can't you just use Mozilla to read the mail (through POP) at UNSW?
I just like to make life hard for myself ...

blah

I am blah
HSC
After I log into https://webmail.cse.unsw.edu.au/src/login.php how come i can't read any incoming email? I'm using it from a home computer.

I get this error msg on the side

ERROR : Could not complete request.
Query: CREATE "mail/INBOX.Sent"
Reason Given: CREATE failed: Can't create mailbox node /import/elfman/1/myusername/: Permission denied

What's all this pop3 and ssh you guys are on about? Do i need it?

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Have you set up your account on sirius? Try clearing your cache also. You can email helpdesk and SS as a last resort.

SSH and POP aren't needed. You can use something like Outlook to check your CSE mail because its a POP client. SSH is a way of connecting your machine to the CSE servers, making it like a lab machine in a way.

blah

I am blah
HSC
I setup my account over the internet. How do I clear cache?

Ok let me get this right. So you're saying that I can't use that website to view mail at home. So what can I do with that site? Can I send emails?

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by blah
Ok let me get this right. So you're saying that I can't use that website to view mail at home. So what can I do with that site? Can I send emails?
You can send/receive with webmail. Webmail simply is another front end for your mail account, like pine is. Except that webmail doesn't delete the emails off the mail server after you've read it (so you can download is at home with outlook or something).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)