CSP pricing (1 Viewer)

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
I'm not sure whether what i've read off the phamlets are real and on the gov. website

They're saying that
band 4 (med/law) csp = $8000pa
band 3 (eng/arch) csp = $6000 pa

thats ALL you have to pay??...i'm sure i heard friends saying they pay well over 10 000 for a csp course..

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
thats what i thought..prolly doing a DFEE course and didn't know what csp was and bs to me

haruhi

HSC
hey
i not really sure bout csp. where can i get more info on it? do we need to apply for it or is it given automatically? thanks heaps for any help

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
it depends what course you applied for through UAC - you would have noticed that there were several codes for each course - one for CSP and one for DFEE (and one also for IFEE but thats for international students)

CSP stands for Commonwealth Supported Place, and essentially it means the government pays for most of your university fees and you only have to make a smallish contribution - anywhere from $4k to $8k per year. This is where HECS comes in - the government provides an interest free loan on your contributions so you can pay them back through tax when youre earning a decent wage. However if you pay your contributions up front, you will receive a 20% discount - so its worth doing if youve got the money.

The majority of students go to uni through CSP

DFEE is where youre responsible for paying all your tuition fees to the university, but generally the uai cutoffs are lower for DFEE than CSP places. It costs about $20k per year. You are also entitled to a FEE-HELP loan, which works the same way as HECS, (except the 20% discount thing) where you get to pay it back when youre earning some decent cash.

Hope all this is useful!

edit: this info is in more detail on page 45 of the uac guide

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
haruhi said:
hey
i not really sure bout csp. where can i get more info on it? do we need to apply for it or is it given automatically? thanks heaps for any help
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/FeesLoansAndScholarships/Undergraduate/Default.htm
^Go here for more information on the subject. In summary, as soon as you get into a Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) and you are a citizen, then you're automatically entitled to a government loan (HELP) which allows you to defer costs. They'll just give you the form to sign on enrollment day.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
I got this off the UNSW web site - it is the annual student contributions for CSP 2007.

Band 1 - $4,996
(humanities, behavioural science, social studies, foreign languages, visual and performing arts)

Band 2 - $7,118
(accounting, administration, economics, commerce, mathematics, statistics, computing,
built environment, health, engineering, science, surveying, agriculture)

Band 3 - $8,333
(law, dentistry, medicine, veterinary science)

National priorities - $3,998
(education, nursing)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
CSP is also determined on a per subject basis (well as far as I know) rather than a per course basis. So for example, if you did a Commerce degree, most of your subjects would be in Band 2, but if you did any law subjects in your Commerce degree (which you would if you did Accounting), then those subjects would be charged at Band 3 instead. The amounts stated above are pretty much CSP amounts for a full load of subjects per year in that band, so I guess doing a full load of all subjects in Band 2 would be $7118, but say if you did some law or arts subjects, then you'd be paying a bit more or a bit less, depending on what you did. I hope that makes sense!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)