CSSA 2006 Trial (3 Viewers)

H

housemouse

Im not too happy about my mark. I thought i did so well when i got out of the exam room but i never realised i didnt get out so many parts.
I got 65/120 doing the CSSA paper. I got out the induction question using two assumptions however my teacher doesnt even know that method.

And the main reason why im not happy is because my parents fork out so much money for me to go to tutor for 4 unit maths and this is all i can get. So depressing that im wasting my parent's money.

H

housemouse

Rax said:
Everybody can bequiet right now...........

I got my results back......Its time to start eating some knives
50/120...............FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRK

Tottally stuffed up 2 questions, like the whole damn questions. I dont know what the hell i am going to do. So stooged.
Time for some major Revision

90/120......wow thats sick, keep it up. Atleast you only got beatan by 1 mark, sure you can bring that back.

Well GG

50/120 omg *Tears start to well*
He did the NEAP paper which was much more straightforward than the CSSA paper. My tutor showed me the NEAP paper, and you can pretty much get out the whole paper if you know your stuff. CSSA is very wordy which is bad for maths students.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Still waiting for my 4 and 3u results from the CSSA trials, my teacher keeps saying that we'll get them back the next day but we still haven't over the last few days. :mad1:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Just to let you know if you're curious, for Q8

a)i) Solve by solving for complex roots of unity
ii) Realise that there are two conjugate pairs of roots and expand quadratic equations with the conjugates
iii) Let z^5 - 1 = (z - 1) (z^4 + z^3 + z^2 + z + 1) and using the result in ii) equate the two brackets with (z^4 + z^3 + z^2 + z + 1) and simplify by letting z = 1
iv) Using the result in iii) change one of them using a cosine double angle formula and simplify to get the equation

b)i) Take the tangent of alpha using the larger triangle and use sine and cosine ratios to find the lengths required by the tangent. Since the radius is 1 unit, it should simplify nicely
ii) The question actually means explain why angle BOE is greater than angle alpha, which is by the triangle inequality. Exterior angle of a triangle can be used to deduce the result for theta
iii) Using the result in ii), let 3 x alpha < theta, make alpha the subject and take the tangent of both sides

No, I didn't get all of these in the exam....:(
I'll be happy with (and am hopefully expecting) 70-90/120 and anything over that (which is unrealistic unless I got all the questions I attempted correct...), I'll be extremely happy with.....lol

jarrypan

Mr.
HSC
hehe, i got 97/120 marks
about 81%. I come second in my school...

Last edited:

vafa

HSC
N/A
housemouse said:
Im not too happy about my mark. I thought i did so well when i got out of the exam room but i never realised i didnt get out so many parts.
I got 65/120 doing the CSSA paper. I got out the induction question using two assumptions however my teacher doesnt even know that method.

And the main reason why im not happy is because my parents fork out so much money for me to go to tutor for 4 unit maths and this is all i can get. So depressing that im wasting my parent's money.
I know what you feel about your mark. I have spent maybe the same amount of money in different way. I bought many different text books because I think text book is the best tutor and the other thing is that when you have got a tutor then you do not bother yourself to do harder problems but sometimes when i wasstudying different text books i was confused and several times i really was diappointed and i cried and i was not sure if i made the right decision by having maths extension2 but i accepted the challenge and now i can solve any hard problem. maximum 10 minutes takes me to solve a hard question but yes practise makes perfect...
you should believe yourself

Mill

HSC
housemouse said:

That's why you get external tutoring. Do not underestimate what it does for you. :p

bboyelement

HSC
Mill said:
That's why you get external tutoring. Do not underestimate what it does for you. :p
money spent on tutoring - $1000

getting an arnolds cambridge 4 unit from school and learn to solve it by yourself - priceless

3/4 of the induction exercise in the cambridge has those types of recurrence induction questions,

Last edited:

Mill

HSC
;d

Most competent textbooks have such questions.

Your post is a bit sensationalist though isn't it?

If 4u Mathematics was as simple as buying a textbook, why isn't everyone getting 100? Moreover, why _are_ people spending $ on tutoring. ;d

zeek

HSC
4 unit wasn't designed so that students would get 100... but that doesn't mean you can't. It's possible to get 100 without a tutor if you put all ur time and effort into 4 unit (which is a bad choice).

Tbomb2k

T.K
HSC
My skool sux... i don't do ext2 maths, but i heard the highest mark was about 47/120 and lowest was 8/120... ouch.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Tbomb2k said:
My skool sux... i don't do ext2 maths, but i heard the highest mark was about 47/120 and lowest was 8/120... ouch.
i got 48/120

that kinda sucked! :(

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Finally I get my exam back today. I thought I screwed it up but ended up getting 84/120 (exactly 70%).

Pretty happy and I know I can still improve. :)

gamecw

HSC
i did a public school trial paper, 65% pretty shyt
made a few dumb mistakes such as: 3+6=3, copyin the wrong number from the above line, and skiped a few easiest questions for no reasons... =S

H

housemouse

Just a question about the only induction question in the CSSA 2006 trial, did you guys use two assumptions instead of one?

I know you can just make one assumption however it seemed to take very long, so i thought i would use two assumptions which made the whole question like a three unit question however my teacher questioned whether or not it was right cause he has never encountered questions nor heard you could make more than one assumption.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Usually you can use those multiple assumptions for induction questions in the form like this one in the trial, where you are given information involving the previous two terms in the sequence (e.g with n-1 and n-2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)