CSSA Modern History 2013: Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Candidate

HSC
Did USA (b) , J Edgar Hoover and Indochina (a). Spent ages studying for FDR/New Deal for USA since CSSA Trials haven't asked about that in the 2010, '11 and '12 papers, but they were lazy and regurgitated a 2010 question on consumers again. Prepared mostly for anti-war protests for Indochina too, but picked the question on US involvement from 1954-1965. Wrote about 9-11 pages for the essay sections though. It was better than I thought.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Loved the exam!
was soo good
WW1 was just awesome, even though the sources were a bit tedious to read

Germany - the moment i saw a question on weimar and nazi germany, i began to relax and took it easy... obviously chose question A, weimer, as that was the part of the syllabus i focused on most, wrote 3 full booklets

Personality was straight forward as usual, 1 booklet for 10 marker, 2 for 15 marker

cold war, Also the question was just perfect - 2 booklets

ended up with 8 booklets overall, feeling confident with this one :D

Candidate

HSC
Loved the exam!
was soo good
WW1 was just awesome, even though the sources were a bit tedious to read

Germany - the moment i saw a question on weimar and nazi germany, i began to relax and took it easy... obviously chose question A, weimer, as that was the part of the syllabus i focused on most, wrote 3 full booklets

Personality was straight forward as usual, 1 booklet for 10 marker, 2 for 15 marker

cold war, Also the question was just perfect - 2 booklets

ended up with 8 booklets overall, feeling confident with this one :D
I loved sources C and D! Source A was tedious though. I read it like three times. I did the source questions last in about 30min and finished on pens down :)

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I loved sources C and D! Source A was tedious though. I read it like three times. I did the source questions last in about 30min and finished on pens down :)
What'd you include in your answer for the 8 marker?

I did:
nature of defensive weaponry
inexperienced Generals as the source pointed out anyway
difficulties in terrain
low soldier morale

Candidate

HSC
What'd you include in your answer for the 8 marker?

I did:
nature of defensive weaponry
inexperienced Generals as the source pointed out anyway
difficulties in terrain
low soldier morale
I had to write so small for that 8 marker– one page was not enough haha. I used the bad tactics (the "huge offensives"), incompetent generals, and the nature of a war of attrition making breakthrough difficult. Looking back I should have done the defensive weaponry, but I expounded on the quotes a lot which took up space. I'll probably get 6 or 7 out of 8 for that one.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I had to write so small for that 8 marker– one page was not enough haha. I used the bad tactics (the "huge offensives"), incompetent generals, and the nature of a war of attrition making breakthrough difficult. Looking back I should have done the defensive weaponry, but I expounded on the quotes a lot which took up space. I'll probably get 6 or 7 out of 8 for that one.
we both kind of had the same approach lol

yeah.. expecting a 7 or 8 out of 8 for that one as well hopefully :p

rangajake

HSC
I thought it was a quite straight forward exam in terms of questions.

World War 1 was very simple and I thought the 8 marker was quite easy to answer. I looked at tactics and strategies, communication and logistical problems.
Weimar Questions were pretty decent, i chose the one about a lack of stability up until 1923. Drawing upon nationalism, the treaty of Versailles, the autonomy of the German army and political street tensions.
Conflict in Europe I chose the question which was to assess the significance of El Alamein to allied victory. was pretty straight forward, just compared it in terms of significance, scale and strategy to Stalingrad and Barbarossa.
Speer was out personality and again it was pretty much just a recall of information.

Pretty solid exam.

toadstar

HSC
I got my exam tomorrow, I'm feeling ok but I always stress out on the Germany section, they can test a whole essay on a single dot point, any suggestions??

Last edited:

miss_a

HSC
N/A
I thought it was a quite straight forward exam in terms of questions.

World War 1 was very simple and I thought the 8 marker was quite easy to answer. I looked at tactics and strategies, communication and logistical problems.
Weimar Questions were pretty decent, i chose the one about a lack of stability up until 1923. Drawing upon nationalism, the treaty of Versailles, the autonomy of the German army and political street tensions.
Conflict in Europe I chose the question which was to assess the significance of El Alamein to allied victory. was pretty straight forward, just compared it in terms of significance, scale and strategy to Stalingrad and Barbarossa.
Speer was out personality and again it was pretty much just a recall of information.

Pretty solid exam.
yep i found the Germany question pretty decent too, it was really only about the first dotpoint

pscecelia

HSC
it was fair but I didn't put enough time for WW1 core study :( the reading sources were somewhat confusing though ...maybe cause I didn't revise WW1 .LOL!

just a question/fact or watevs. but if you look at past papers for the other sections where its 25 mark for the essay....they ask a question based from the first topic then give you another option from the second topic.....so does that mean we can pretty much heavily focus on one topic rather than the entire syllabus?

joey95

HSC
Strenuous
WW1 was alright; started weimar- then switched to weimar :confused2:
--> totally didn't write enough.

tigersman1000

HSC
Our school does our own trials and exam is next week so I need practice questions..
Anyone remember the question for Cold War or Russia?

pscecelia

HSC
Our school does our own trials and exam is next week so I need practice questions..
Anyone remember the question for Cold War or Russia?
USSR

Assess the impact of Stalinism on the Soviet society and culture from 1928-1941

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)