CSSA papers and SOMEBODY ELSE'S COPYRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I am sick and tired of the copy and paste mentality of the apathetic, morbidly afflicted and not very well educated CSSA exam committees hell bent on making money out of somebody else's stuff!!!!!

How many CSSA papers have just copy and pasted stuff, some of which was copyrighted by somebody else and then gone and claimed copyright for it for themselves?

I read somewhere here on BOS that CSSA are "anal" about their copyright. I would like to extend that theme somewhat and suggest that their exam committees are drowning in their own exam diarrhea in the sense that they claim to own the content when in fact if one researches it thoroughly, one will find the actual copyright belongs to someone else! Total shit in my humble opinion!!!!!

I would like to (but won't) test the legality of their copyright by uploading ALL CSSA papers since 1967 to the net - but for each question and for each paper give proper references for where the question originally came from. So the only people who could actually sue with a legitimate legal reason would be the original copyright holders - none of whom would actually be CSSA!

On the other hand - perhaps a defamation case would be more entertaining.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
It's okay bro.

Copyright infringement is only 7 years in prison. Nerdasdasd will educate you on the repercussions of breaking copyright laws.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I am sick and tired of the copy and paste mentality of the apathetic, morbidly afflicted and not very well educated CSSA exam committees hell bent on making money out of somebody else's stuff!!!!!

How many CSSA papers have just copy and pasted stuff, some of which was copyrighted by somebody else and then gone and claimed copyright for it for themselves?

I read somewhere here on BOS that CSSA are "anal" about their copyright. I would like to extend that theme somewhat and suggest that their exam committees are drowning in their own exam diarrhea in the sense that they claim to own the content when in fact if one researches it thoroughly, one will find the actual copyright belongs to someone else! Total shit in my humble opinion!!!!!

I would like to (but won't) test the legality of their copyright by uploading ALL CSSA papers since 1967 to the net - but for each question and for each paper give proper references for where the question originally came from. So the only people who could actually sue with a legitimate legal reason would be the original copyright holders - none of which would actually be CSSA!

On the other hand - perhaps a defamation case would be more entertaining.
Your funeral.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
No. It's not a life and death thing. Just a rather amusing little game.

Web Addict

HSC
Wait, did you say you're going to upload all the CSSA papers to the net?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I said what I'd like to do. And I said it's an amusing little game.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Agreed. When going through questions with students, I see well known (within the Mathematical society at least) problems such as the proof of the ratio of successive terms of Fibbonaci Sequence -> (1+sqrt{5})/2 or the classic Mechanics problem 1/W^2 = 1/V^2 + 1/U^2 (2011 CSSA Q7 (b)) or the closed form of the product of consecutive Fermat numbers (2011 CSSA Q7 (a)). Many of these results can be found straight from wikipedia (along with their proofs might I add). Notably, regarding the Mechanics problem, I have seen that same result an old elementary dynamics textbook which must have been at LEAST 40 years old (many people claim that it was taken from T.Lee, but I am sure he has taken it from elsewhere).

And it's a very real pity that these questions are 'copyrighted' really. Now, those who were unaware of such beautiful results will believe the original source to be from CSSA themselves and think "Oh wow that's such a clever question! These people must be geniuses!"

But it is extremely easy to tell when the CSSA committee have made an attempt to write their own question *cough CSSA 2009 Q7(b)*. Seriously, that question is such a joke. Did they just think of the numbers the night before?

You know the author of the question is not giving two shits about the final result when it is

======================================================

Calling it now, CSSA chucking a cry at this post because it contained some formulae from it.

Last edited:

Web Addict

HSC
Just saying, if CSSA papers are the 'better' ones out there and its this bad (according to you guys), imagine the others.

Are there any papers that do meet your expectations?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
They're not necessarily bad. In fact, their papers have improved drastically in quality since 2010.

However, the point of the thread is the fact that they're copyrighting questions that are already well-known and previously-established by other Mathematicians.

Web Addict

HSC
They're not necessarily bad. In fact, their papers have improved drastically in quality since 2010.

However, the point of the thread is the fact that they're copyrighting questions that are already well-known and previously-established by other Mathematicians.
Sorry. What I meant was that if they're one of the better papers out there and they copyrighted questions, doesn't that mean other papers copyright questions even more than CSSA?

Just wondering, are HSC papers purely original?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sorry. What I meant was that if they're one of the better papers out there and they copyrighted questions, doesn't that mean other papers copyright questions even more than CSSA?

I don't quite get what you mean about other papers copyrighting even more than CSSA.

HSC papers are not purely original. The last question is usually a well-known result that was researched and made into a question based off somebody's proof. Or it's just a well-known question full stop.

ie: Last year's 4U Q16 probability is a common technique in determining maximal probability, and it has appeared in STEP papers beforehand. So to those who haven't seen it before, it's all 'WHOA!!' but within the Mathematical society, it is fairly well-known.

Makematics

HSC

yes cssa papers are better than most school papers, but they are getting PAID to make them, so you would expect original questions of some sort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)