Cssa physics 2012 (1 Viewer)

mdunn94

HSC
Understandable. But you indictae aether wind by showing the effect it has on the arms... it specifically said the effect the aether wind WOULD have had on the arms going parallel and perpendicular... i am not sure. you could be right. But that is how i interperted the question.
:)
Its fine if you drew the michelson and morley apparatus, but it asked you specifically about speed relative to the aether, so if its heading into the aether the speeds c-v etc, i drew a large earth and just had different 'arms' coming off labelled with each speed to show how the earths movement through the aether affects the speed of light. Lets hope it turns out all ok.

turbo2007

HSC
Its fine if you drew the michelson and morley apparatus, but it asked you specifically about speed relative to the aether, so if its heading into the aether the speeds c-v etc, i drew a large earth and just had different 'arms' coming off labelled with each speed to show how the earths movement through the aether affects the speed of light. Lets hope it turns out all ok.
Post a diagram of what you were meant to draw
and how many marks was this question again

Sindivyn

HSC
I drew the experiment and made reference to the boat analogy, using two constants I labelled the average speeds. Perpendicular to the aether I labelled as c-w, and parallel I labelled as c-z, where z>w.

Last edited:

manscux

HSC
I drew the experiment and made reference to the boat analogy, using two constants I labelled the average speeds. Perpendicular to the aether I labelled as c-w, and parallel I labelled as c-z, where z>w.
Thats what i did... but i used the diagram i posted up earlier. since the vector sum of the lengths accomodate for the value of c if an ether wind existed.

Caboufram

HSC
N/A
Not sure about state ranks mate, but we've got a cohort on intellectual steroids. Should work out in our favour.

manscux

HSC
i got 92/100 in physics (1st)

lost marks on last question on messiner effect

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
State rank in Physics is more around low 90s. It's high 80s in Chemistry.

Don't forget, you need to be top 10 to get state rank in Physics as opposed to the top 20 in Chemistry and also the slightly higher difficulty of Chemistry.

priyaaa

HSC
can someone please upload any past cssa physics papers? that would be much appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)