• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cssa trial (1 Viewer)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
the area between the curve y = (sinx) ^2 and the x axis between x = 0 and x = (pi / 2) is rotated through one complete revolutio bout the x axis

(i) find the exact value of the area of the region

(ii) use simpson's rule with 3 function values to find an approx. to the volume of the solid of revolution, leaving the answer in terms of pi

ellen.louise

HSC
live.fast said:
the area between the curve y = (sinx) ^2 and the x axis between x = 0 and x = (pi / 2) is rotated through one complete revolutio bout the x axis

(i) find the exact value of the area of the region

(ii) use simpson's rule with 3 function values to find an approx. to the volume of the solid of revolution, leaving the answer in terms of pi
Remember this result:

cos2x = 1 - 2sinxsinx
sinxsinx = 1/2(1-cos2x)

integral sign = }

i)
A = } pi/2 , 0 , sinxsinx . dx
= } pi/2 , 0 , 1/2(1-cos2x) . dx
= 1/2 } pi/2 , 0 , (1-cos2x) . dx
= 1/2 [x - 1/2sin2x] , pi/2 , 0
= 1/2 [(pi/2 - 1/2sinpi) - (0 - 1/2sin0)]
= 1/2 [pi/2 - 0]
= pi/4 units^2

ii)
fuck i can't be bothered right now...

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yeah you must be able to integrate sin2x and cos2x because they will ALWAYS appear in an extension one exam.....

although the Simpson's rule one should be easy if you just give it a little thought....

remember that the volume formula is π∫y2 dx.....(its derived from the volume of a cylinder, which is πr2h)

So apply Simpson's rule to [sin2x]2 on the interval 0 to π/2, then multiply the result by π to get your volume in units3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)