CSU Wagga Wagga (1 Viewer)

whatsupdoctor

HSC
Hey guys, I just have a few questions about the Wagga Wagga campus. If anyone could answer them that would be greatly appreciated.

1. How many students are enrolled at the Wagga campus?

2. How "country" is the atmosphere at the uni?

3. How many of said students live on campus?

4. Of those students living on campus, what percentage would you say are domestic students?

5. I've heard that CSU Wagga is a dry campus. What exactly does that entail? No drinking outside of the bars? I'm assuming you're allowed to drink in your rooms (hopefully not by yourself!).

6. How hard is it to get catered accommodation if you live, say, 5 hours away (Sydney)?

7. Catered versus non-catered - which one wins?

8. Also, specific to a course so I don't expect many people to answer, but what is the situation with early entry with the TV Production course? Also, it mentions that having an interview would greaten your chances of getting a place. How do we go about applying for an interview?

9. Does anyone have any pictures of the Wagga campus, including the dorms and such?

Cheers to anyone who could be bothered to read and answer those.

Matt Samson

HSC
In regards to accommodation, all first year students no matter where they come from are given an equal chance at gaining a room on-campus. It doesn't matter whether you come from Sydney or even Wagga (if a person from Wagga wanted to live on-campus). The rooms are allocated using a ballot.

The only exception to this is students with a disability that requires them to be on-campus who are given preference above any other student.

International students studying at CSU for the first time also have a guatanteed room for their first year of study, or in the case of exchange students for the duration of their 1 or 2 semester exchange.

As for the other details regarding Wagga specifically, you'll have to wait for someone that studies at Wagga to answer.

But from my understanding Wagga campus has around 5000 internal students and is the campus with the most students.

Last edited:

lachlan43

3000-5000, I'm not sure.

Depends more on who you hang out with. It's not like UTS or anything, it's very open. But if you hang out with Aggies. it's going to be a much more country experience than if you hang out with chalks.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. It'd be up around the 800 mark, I'm fairly sure.

30 + 20 + 120 + 70 + 96 + 400 = 736. That's a rough estimate of how many live in each dorm + 50 cottages of 8 people.

4. Of those students living on campus, what percentage would you say are domestic students?
90% or so, I'd think.

5. I've heard that CSU Wagga is a dry campus. What exactly does that entail? No drinking outside of the bars? I'm assuming you're allowed to drink in your rooms (hopefully not by yourself!).
It's only dry campus during O-Week, which means no drinking outside of bars during O-Week. Other than that, go for your life.

6. How hard is it to get catered accommodation if you live, say, 5 hours away (Sydney)?
As Matt said, it's a ballot. There is a "remote postcode" system for places in the middle of nowhere, but aside from that, it's all a ballot.

Depends. Can you cook? Do you want to cook? Do you want to take your chance on dining hall food that can be shite half the time or more? Are you picky with what you eat? Would you rather be in a dorm with 30+ people (catered) or a cottage with 8 people (self-catered).

8. Also, specific to a course so I don't expect many people to answer, but what is the situation with early entry with the TV Production course? Also, it mentions that having an interview would greaten your chances of getting a place. How do we go about applying for an interview?
No idea. My best mate's a proddie, he'll tell you. He's a member here.

9. Does anyone have any pictures of the Wagga campus, including the dorms and such?
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=157292

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
Rightio... for the TV Production stuff, being a 2nd year student now (And the best mate Newkid refers to)...

I was accepted on the basis of my previous two years studying IT at UTS. I didn't have to go through an interview or anything of the sort thank goodness!

However, for the rest of the poor sods in my year that did, the interview was very much there for you to prove your worth for the course through your experiences and aspirations, at the least gives the interviewers (The lecturers of the course) some assurance that you'll succeed and give it all you got to it. So I'd say if you get a chance for an interview, do it!

In many respects, it does improve your chances of getting into the course, however, it seems with the recent increase in the uptake of students to the course, it probably wouldn't hurt as much to try a little harder at school and get a decent UAI.

Again Dr, you know where to find me if you need any further advice on the course.... and remember, you come from the exact same background as I before I came here, and it's very much worked out for me! ;)

boris

Banned
HSC
A FEW THOUSAND, but thats oncampus/off campus
very country. it's full of aggies. good fun though
a couple hundred
99%
wat? they have (had) 2 bars on campus, and ur pretty much allowed to drink wherever you want if u bring ur own

if ur on campus, id say catered wins
dunno
um ill see what ive got
Cheers to anyone who could be bothered to read and answer those.

whatsupdoctor

HSC
Cheers. Overall then it sounds like CSU Wagga would have a pretty decent community going. The country thing doesn't bother me that much. I guess you'll make friends with people in your course hence you'll have a lot of similar interests anyway. That sort of sucks about the accommodation ballot though. The interview thing is a little worrying though, because I have no experience at all, and I don't see how the interview would benefit me. I'm thinking it would go something like this...

"Do you have any experience in the industry"
"No"
"Have you ever filmed and edited your own work before?"
"No"
"Do you have any production experience?"
"No"
"Do you find the TV industry interesting?"
"Yes"

Being at uni now it's a bit hard to get any experience. I find myself not caring what grades I get now because I'm so sure that the course at Wagga is what I want to do.

HSC
I had no experience when I came here. Infact, I didn't even consider Television as a career after I gave up the IT thing.

But again.... it's all worked out for me when I came here with nothing. Seriously dude, just chill, and like anything, it'll all fall into place! ;)

As for photos of accommodation in Wagga, I posted them here...

boris

Banned
HSC
yeah and seriously, wagga is big enough that it's not some hick country town

it has all the amenities you'd expect

awesome atmosphere.

Matt Samson

HSC
whatsupdoctor said:
I'm thinking it would go something like this...

"Do you have any experience in the industry"
"No"
"Have you ever filmed and edited your own work before?"
"No"
"Do you have any production experience?"
"No"
"Do you find the TV industry interesting?"
"Yes"
It isn't a job interview, it is an interview to see whether you're really interested in the industry.

I would go to the interview if you're really "interested" in the course. That is what they will be looking for, people with interest.

Most people entering the course would be aged between 18 and 19, so they're not looking for the latest film director.

A more likely question would be: "Why do you want to go into Television Production?", and, "Where do you expect your study in TV production to take you in the future".

They might even slip in a question regarding what you would do if you don't get into the course... That would be a question to see whether your interest is really an interest.

I am unsure what is in the interview, but it won't be like a job interview.

It is sort of like the questions they ask in the Journalism degree at Bathurst.... I didn't do the interview as I got in as an internal course transfer, but just knowing some of the lecturers I know their first question would have been: "Why do you want to become a Journalist?".... The wrong answer to that question would be: "Because I love to write"...

The lecturers know you have no experience..... no where near as much as they have.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)