Cult of Amun (1 Viewer)

carkeys

HSC
I have looked everywhere but found nothing specific enough on the importance of the role of the cult of amun during NKE to the death of Thutmose IV. Is there anyone that could help me out with specific information, because i have found the basic things like it got very powerful as Amun became a national god, and that it owned something like 1/3 of arable land, but its sources and detail which i am struggling to find. It's an assess essay due in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

nadinetannous

HSC
If you focus on Hatshepsut for this period, you will find heaps of information. During her reign, she merged the state God Amun and the cult God Re and formed Amun- Re. She also created personal peity, where royals such as herself and pharaohs after her are able to communicate directly one- on -one with Amun- Re. The Amun Priesthood's importance also grew and the main priest of the Amun Priesthood (Hapuseneb) was appointed Vizier (Prime Minister), which gave religion and the cult of Amun both religious and political importance.
All things done in Egypt were done in the name of Amun- Re, such as the Expedition to Punt where all rare objects collected were dedicated to Amun.

...the essay has already been handed in hasn't it? (I just noticed the date of your post). Hope that helps anyway.

Nadine.

carkeys

HSC
Yeah we have already done the essay, i kinda did what you mentioned about focusing on Hatshepsut...but some of the stuff you mentioned i hadn't heard of so that'll be good info for the trials. Thanks heaps for your help Nadine.

nandison

HSC
The ideology of kingship depended basically on the relationship of the king to amun. Such as the divine birth, oracles, and even the building programs and many more were done for amun. Such things as the warfare and conquest is where the cult of amun was promoted, the kings hatshepsut claims amun inspires military campaigns , and when it is won the king gives credit for victories. The building programs played a big part in the cult. Hatshepsut dedicates the temples to Amun. And dedicate booty as a tribute to the God Amun.
Hatshepsut also gave emphasized the role of amun through epithets . Jan Assman identifies these as a city god, ruler god , primeval god, creator god, sun god and ethical authority

X

xeuyrawp

*Amun,
*Hatshepsut,
*Jan Assmann,
*emphasised, although that sentence doesn't make sense. "Hatshepsut also put emphasis on the role of Amun through epithets", possibly? Although you should say which.

menofstudy

Retiring Member
HSC
Hatshepsut wasn't the one that fused Amun with Re, Nadine.

menofstudy

Retiring Member
HSC
No, you see, I am saying that she never did. I've read no evidence of Hatshepsut being the one to do this. I have read that Amun's preists long associated Amun with the sun god Re so the fusion most likely occured through this association.

Evidence and interpretations vary a lot though such as dates and some events.

For example I read for the first time today (day before exam) that it was definately a skin disease that killed Thutmose II :O when other times it has been undetermined what he died from.

menofstudy

Retiring Member
HSC
nadinetannous said:
If you focus on Hatshepsut for this period, you will find heaps of information. During her reign, she merged the state God Amun and the cult God Re and formed Amun- Re. She also created personal peity, where royals such as herself and pharaohs after her are able to communicate directly one- on -one with Amun- Re. The Amun Priesthood's importance also grew and the main priest of the Amun Priesthood (Hapuseneb) was appointed Vizier (Prime Minister), which gave religion and the cult of Amun both religious and political importance.
All things done in Egypt were done in the name of Amun- Re, such as the Expedition to Punt where all rare objects collected were dedicated to Amun.

...the essay has already been handed in hasn't it? (I just noticed the date of your post). Hope that helps anyway.

Nadine.
Haha. I just got what you meant, PwarYuex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)