• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Custom Built or Prepackaged? (1 Viewer)

Merforga

Hmm just wondering, do you prefer you're computer pre packaged and everything so you just take it home, plug it in and use it? Or do you like building a computer from scratch, formatting all the hard drives and installing everything yourself? I know i like building my computers from scratch (all 5 of mine have been built that way), how bout you?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yeh I prefer building the box, just so everything is the way I want.

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, but the thing that i'm scared of is, if i stuff it up then i might loose a lot of money. :eek:
You have to start somewhere to get the experience.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, i guess ei- but thats the thing that stops most of the ppl. from building their own comp. :eek:
You get someone experienced, to walk you through.

sunny

meh.
HSC
You could always do it over time....like doing your own hard disk upgrade, graphics card....then eventually an entire system.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
You could always do it over time....like doing your own hard disk upgrade, graphics card....then eventually an entire system.
yeah, i've done ram upgrades, then dvd drive upgrade, modem upgrade etc. etc...but its still scary to start from scratch- but i guess i'll try to get an experienced person to walk me thru one day. :)

anyways, how did u guys start- like tell me ya experiences when u built ya first comp. - what sorta problems u had, did it all go to plan, what preparations did u do, etc. etc.

fatmuscle

HSC
well, as others said, start from scratch

it may not be building though, it may be taking apart!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Take apart your current computer, reassemble it, and if theres no bits left over its all good :p

Winston

HSC
as ive said i didnt know wat a computer wat, didnt own one, my first PC was in yr 10, so it wasnt too long ago, and after that like in yr 11 i built my first PC, almost fried my mobo, but luckily it didn't so yeah :)...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
In some cases, buying it packaged might end up being cheaper. (i.e. they give you a discount if you buy the whole thing from them)

All the computer's I bought came already made and was pretty cheap. And I told them what system specifications I wanted and they agreed.

But for experience, definitely build your own.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i got my pc custom built, but the ppl there let me see them build it, so that was pretty cool :D:p

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
Yeh I prefer building the box, just so everything is the way I want.
same.... everything is the way i want it to be.....
i built ma first one on my own last week and everything was going fine until it came to putting the processor into the socket... there was a capacitor stickin out of the the middle area in the socket not allowing the processor to sit flat..... i took it back to them and they pressed it down so that processor could fit....... after that everything was fine....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)