• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cut offs came crashing down! (2 Viewers)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
social inquiry 83!! 97.65 with law
journalism 93 with law : 97.50 (wat happened :confused: ?)

info mgt- 75!

public coms 92 97.5 (with law)

media arts 94

----------------]

weird- its like uts opened up soooo many new places
or is coming clean with its uai cut offs :eek:

cheers!

D.Larie

I got a UAI of 89.50

I was SO worried about getting into Social Enquiry which previously had a cutoff of 90.
I can't believe it dropped so much. 7 points!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think that a major part of it is that communications degrees aren't as much of a fad any more. About 4-5 years ago they were a huge fad and hence the cutoffs were really high. I think one year a while back UTS Journalism cutoff was almost 99! Now the demand for them isn't as strong and hence the cutoffs had dropped.... plus more and more universities offer communications degrees now, and at some unis (like wollongong) you can study them as a double with science etc which appeals to a lot of people.

I was particularly shocked at the way social inquiry dropped though.... that was a big drop.

But in reality, the UAI decreasing doesn't change the quality of your degree or the prestige of it, so frankly it doesn't matter.

mr EaZy

HSC
absolution* said:
Oh my. "Crashing Down", how dramatic...
i know, its like the boom and slump phenomenon,

i actually regretted (not anymore :) )not putting
law/social inquiry as my 3rd pref instead of business
doesnt matter, i can change it if i want for the late round, but naah, the low cut offs have convinved me that what my law friend at uts said about social inq was true.

- i think i only wanted social inq coz i wanted to study with a group of people who share the same passion for several subjects ( like the people i met at open day), o well......

somechick

HSC
N/A
Yeah same with Info management.
I put that on third cos i thought i wouldnt get into journo or writing in cont. cultures, but it went down to 75!!!!! what the????!!! that's like UWS cut offs.

Im so glad i got into writing in cont. cultures!!

and to the person who said they're pointless degrees...EH?
pointless? how so?

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
mr EaZy said:
i thought u were in arts? wat hppened there? :confused: :D

Edit: oh ok, didnt know u were doing journalism, my mistake :)
I sold out and transferred to bizlaw.
As for my opinion that they are pointless degrees, this is soley my opinion.
Too much of the subject material is vague and pretentious. Some may enjoy studying Barbie as a symbol of sexism/racism but I didn't.
As well, employment from communications degrees is pretty poor.
Even the select few who bust their balls compiling a portfolio and get into a Fairfax cadetship (I think this is something like 1%, and the candidature is not stupid) end up on a minimal salary doing menial tasks.
As well with the Pub Comm degree if I was wanting to get into Advertising PR I would much rather do a commerce major in Marketing.
Sorry to disillusion some of the new kids, if you really want to succeed in the communications field then I'm sure you can but I for one personally hated the course, and did not see much potential reward at the end.
Peace.

mr EaZy

HSC
Soma said:
I sold out and transferred to bizlaw.
Peace.
naaaaaaah way bro!

1st year too? :D

as for the humanities stuff, i would enjoy it very much and the company of the people who do it too, but........... JOBS :D sigh- if only i could do a course without caring about """""WHY?"""

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I just got an email in my UTSmail from the journalism faculty.... the cutoff for journalism went down because they have allocated more places to this degree this year due to high demand.

mr EaZy

HSC
Soma said:
As well, employment from communications degrees is pretty poor.
Even the select few who bust their balls compiling a portfolio and get into a Fairfax cadetship (I think this is something like 1%, and the candidature is not stupid) end up on a minimal salary doing menial tasks.

Peace.

thats interesting coz i actually believed in the portfolio stuff

like isnt experience outside of uni wat employers look for?

menial tasks- thats like to say they spent their 3 years in uni playing around !
im not into social inquiry or communications as i was before, but let me just say to all that its up to u to sell urself and ur degree to the employer, be recognised, and u may have to do menial tasks for a year or 2 before u get something good.

well, good luck, thats all wat i can say :)
the future's bright - for all of us

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Some of what Soma says is true, but some is because he didn't like journalism. Yeah there are barely any fairfax things, but you can get junior reporter positions etc or do research work or whatever and work your way up. I think if you really want it you will get it eventually, but I think that there are a lot of people who do communications who don't really want it.

Personally myself I kinda want it but I haven't put much effort in to compiling a great portfolio or anything. I would be happy to get a job at a small paper (I would move anywhere.... I have no qualms about living outside a city or anything) and then try and work my way up.... and that's definately a possibility I think...... so even though it isn't easy to get a job as a journalist from a communications degree, it's not impossible. And very few get those prized cadetships at the major metropolitan papers etc.... that is certainly true.

But heaps of the reporters from the tv news and local papers in Albury work on the Melbourne (nine, 7, ten etc) news, Sky News, ABC radio and bigger papers now.... they started in Albury and worked their way up. It happens a fair bit actually....

I think it is the same for most graduates though.... you start at the bottom and work your way up, no matter if you have an engineering, science, business degree or whatever.... I think nearly everyone starts with the menial stuff when they graduate. Plus the unemployment rate for arts grads from any uni is pretty poor anyway.... I guess that is why so many people combine arts.

Last edited:

somechick

HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
Some of what Soma says is true, but some is because he didn't like journalism. Yeah there are barely any fairfax things, but you can get junior reporter positions etc or do research work or whatever and work your way up. I think if you really want it you will get it eventually, but I think that there are a lot of people who do communications who don't really want it.

Personally myself I kinda want it but I haven't put much effort in to compiling a great portfolio or anything. I would be happy to get a job at a small paper (I would move anywhere.... I have no qualms about living outside a city or anything) and then try and work my way up.... and that's definately a possibility I think...... so even though it isn't easy to get a job as a journalist from a communications degree, it's not impossible. And very few get those prized cadetships at the major metropolitan papers etc.... that is certainly true.

But heaps of the reporters from the tv news and local papers in Albury work on the Melbourne (nine, 7, ten etc) news, Sky News, ABC radio and bigger papers now.... they started in Albury and worked their way up. It happens a fair bit actually....

I think it is the same for most graduates though.... you start at the bottom and work your way up, no matter if you have an engineering, science, business degree or whatever.... I think nearly everyone starts with the menial stuff when they graduate. Plus the unemployment rate for arts grads from any uni is pretty poor anyway.... I guess that is why so many people combine arts.

Jeez, there goes all my hopes and aspirations.
I thought UTS was a really good uni, aren't they recognised by the industry?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)