• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cut offs came crashing down! (1 Viewer)

HSC
I think she meant that no matter where you go, its the individual that counts, not the uni or the 'proper' journalist degree....?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
That's what I was trying to say. Having the degree doesn't mean a lot if you haven't put the effort in to build up a portfolio and take the chances for experience that are given to you. You can't just cruise along at uni and think you will get a good job at the end of it just because you went to UTS communications. The degree does have a good industry rep, ad puts you in a good position to get a decent job in the industry (possibly in a better position than if you studied somewhere else etc) but it is still difficult to get in to the industry, it takes a lot of effort.

Jinglebell

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Having the degree doesn't mean a lot if you haven't put the effort in to build up a portfolio and take the chances for experience that are given to you.
Exactly...UTS gives us a lot of opportunities to get experience and build up a portfolio/resume/whatever, but ultimately it's up to you to take them. There's plenty of experience (for whatever degree you do) to be had if you look for it, not just directly through the faculty but through various clubs and societies if you look in the right places. But similarly, if you just wait for your industry experience to be handed to you, you'll be rather disappointed.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
That's what I was trying to say. Having the degree doesn't mean a lot if you haven't put the effort in to build up a portfolio and take the chances for experience that are given to you. You can't just cruise along at uni and think you will get a good job at the end of it just because you went to UTS communications. The degree does have a good industry rep, ad puts you in a good position to get a decent job in the industry (possibly in a better position than if you studied somewhere else etc) but it is still difficult to get in to the industry, it takes a lot of effort.
I don't disagree with you all. I'm not trying to discredit the UTS communications courses per se, I'm just saying that I personally did think that the effort required reaped a sufficient reward. I was bored out of my mind when I thought that the course would be intellectually stimulating. I'd rather be bored out of my mind and studying something like accounting where 87% of graduates have a full time position within 4 months and remuneration is immensely higher than that for communications graduates.
However for all those students that are determined to become top journo's I'm sure if you put the effort in you will be able to find an ok job and as long as you are doing something you enjoy money shouldn't matter as much. That said, I know plenty of people who have dropped out of communications as they found it exceedingly tredious.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah, it has to be your thing.... and it was quite different to what I expected at the start so I can understand why people didn't like it because it wasn't what they were expecting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)