Cutoff Trends (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Wolfowitz said:
There's someone kicking around BoS with a UAI of 75 who got into UNE law. Don't worry, dear. But I find UWS' 85 very disturbing. Not to be elitest, but law has to have a reasonably-high cut-off to ensure a functioning legal system. My stoner friend *** got 88.2. I'd hate to think the defence provided by counsel on acid.

"Your honour, my client is not actually a human. He is a four-foot-tall walrus and hence is incapable of robbing ANYTHING. Also, may I add a-koo-baa-joob. The defence rests."
I disagree, James, I believe that noone without a UAI of above 96 should be able to get into law. Anyone that can't figure out the system is either stupid or just lazy, and we don't need them practicing in our country, do we? Sorry, but I'm sure you understand. Better luck next life. :)

phrred

HSC
UAI means nothing, i know people with UAI of 97+ who are actually retarded in that they are so vague and lost because they have been sheltered to their study desk their whole lives. They should introduce a UMAT kinda thing like medicine i reckon to filter these people

X

xeuyrawp

phrred said:
UAI means nothing, i know people with UAI of 97+ who are actually retarded in that they are so vague and lost because they have been sheltered to their study desk their whole lives. They should introduce a UMAT kinda thing like medicine i reckon to filter these people
Well the issue is that the HSC was designed to test against the sheltered people who study at their desks. A UMAT test instilled for degrees other than medicine would step on the BOS' toes, I think, even though the HSC method has failed.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
phrred said:
Well there is actually a UMAT-esque type test for Law entrance already, its just that very few unis use it: http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/university/alset/intro.html

Lainee

HSC
It's not a half bad idea to institute something like Med's UMAT+Interview screenings for law entry. The UAIs for UNSW and USYD are still ridiculously high and law gets it's fair share of folks who do law just because their UAI gets them into it. Perhaps a UMAT-like test and an interview will more effectively take into account factors that influence a person's aptitude for law studies other than just UAI.

EDIT: ALSET looks interesting. I wonder why other unis aren't using it for undergrad entry. I think some unis (UNSW) use it for grad law applicants only.

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Mark my words peppercorns, USyd will do to law admissions what it did to med: graduate programmes only. The Dean wants it. Most faculty members want it. The Academic Board supports it. MSRU is a little down on the idea, but the VC looks like he is warming to the idea.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm thinking of actually doing B Arts at usyd (should get credit for the units i've done at uws) then going for grad law, it's 1 year longer tho. My choices are;

1) Stay on at UWS, finish in 4 years time, keep that as my degree.
2) Go to Usyd, do arts... get credit for some of my units and maybe to make up time do some holidays units so I can complete that in two years. Attempt to get into grad law there, get some credit for my law units already done and finish in 5 years time. If I stuff up, I can do grad law back at uws if anything, and nothing's lost - other than a year of my life.
3) Finish at UWS, do a post graduate course at another uni if I have some employment difficulties, and have spent about the same ammount of time as option 2.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ I've always thought there should be a law style umat test to filter out those who either are not suited to studying law or those who only decide to study law when they get a high uai and don't want to waste it...we had at least 3 of those in my year

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Lundy said:
Why usyd now?
I don't have to go to usyd, I can do it at unsw.
Unsw is a fair distance further tho (travel time), I would probably only try there for law not just to do arts.

One year is not really all that much in the great scheme of things, unless you really need to enter the workforce full-time
I don't really need to, I will be able to afford an extra year. But of course it comes down to how much that extra year would benefit me, which is a kind of unknown.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
It's not a half bad idea to institute something like Med's UMAT+Interview screenings for law entry. The UAIs for UNSW and USYD are still ridiculously high and law gets it's fair share of folks who do law just because their UAI gets them into it. Perhaps a UMAT-like test and an interview will more effectively take into account factors that influence a person's aptitude for law studies other than just UAI.
while i frown upon people who do law without any interest, a UMAT+interview is, in my opinion, stupid.

UMAT/GAMSAT skills can be trained up. and, if you've done the med interviews, you know what kind of perverted hypotheticals the interviewers ask. besides, half the desperate legal studies people who want to do law find that it is completely different from their expectations anyway.

getting into university is, and should be, based on merit. people who really want to do law will do law by virtue of working hard in their HSC or transferring into law.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
while i frown upon people who do law without any interest, a UMAT+interview is, in my opinion, stupid.

UMAT/GAMSAT skills can be trained up. and, if you've done the med interviews, you know what kind of perverted hypotheticals the interviewers ask. besides, half the desperate legal studies people who want to do law find that it is completely different from their expectations anyway.

getting into university is, and should be, based on merit. people who really want to do law will do law by virtue of working hard in their HSC or transferring into law.
Agreed. If you really want to get into law... you can. You can go to uws, if you don't have the uai for that, you can do another degree work your arse off and get into it. If anything, you can wait till you're 21 and apply for mature student.

If you really want it, I think you'll find a way to get it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:

I forgot about the workshops etc that are avaliable for people taking the umat. I guess there is no perfect system, I guess that a UMAT style system wouldn't work, however I do think that there should be oportunities to use alternative selection criteria if the candidate does not get the required UAI (like ANU which allows a letter to be submitted). I guess I just get annoyed when I see people get into law so easily even though they don't want to do it and I had to work extra hard, I know I am being childish but it just pisses me off. I would have been distraught had I not been accepted to study law especially seeing people who didnt care about it getting accepted.

I don't see much point in the current system for med, a friend of mine came back from one of those workshops and they basically told them how to pass the interview, what to do, what not to do, what to say. What's the point of having that as a selection criteria if they allow such workshops to run?

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
^ I've always thought there should be a law style umat test to filter out those who either are not suited to studying law or those who only decide to study law when they get a high uai and don't want to waste it...we had at least 3 of those in my year
Spoken like a true pompous lawyer.... Law is too good for those that aren't passionate about it!! *shakes fist* Those with high UAIs shouldn't do it if they don't want to waste it!! *shakes fist*...

Really, Mel, law isn't some sort of higher-order subject that deserves only those 100% commited. If you think that trying law for any reason other than passion is a bad idea, you need to re-check the real world.

Why not use a good UAI? Who knows if law will be good or bad for them?

Who cares if parents want kids to do law and the child is uncertain? What's the difference?

frigid said:
while i frown upon people who do law without any interest,
But I guess doing Commerce for your parents is a much more valid reason? :rolleyes:

Really, any reason to do any subject is fine. Doing law because you can is as good a reason as doing it for the money.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I don't just think that, it applies for everything not just law. I did I say that you have to be 100% passionate about it. The people I am talking about have never ever spoken about studying law in their life and never showed any interest, in fact they had a complete different degree chosen out that they appeared to be passionate about, but once UAI's came out they disregarded it because it wasn't impressive. However I do find it anoying when someone who has no interest/ little interest in it does it to impress etc.. esp when they drop out it just takes a place that someone else could of had. I also think it is much harder to do well if you don't study something you are interested in.

I should get over it, I am studying law now end of story. Mind my grumpyness I was out very late last night/this morning and I am probably making no sense :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea I have to agree with Pwar... it does come off kinda pompus when you say stuff like that about a degree. I mean when it comes down to it law is just a field of work like anything else... it's not like those whom do law are chosen, special people or whatever it's just a job they'd like to do.

The people I am talking about have never ever spoken about studying law in their life and never showed any interest, in fact they had a complete different degree chosen out that they appeared to be passionate about, but once UAI's came out they disregarded it because it wasn't impressive.
But come on Mel... you love the pompus pagentry that comes with law too, you just caught onto it alot earlier than they did. Why should they be punished?

However I do find it anoying when someone who has no interest/ little interest in it does it to impress etc.. esp when they drop out it just takes a place that someone else could of had. I also think it is much harder to do well if you don't study something you are interested in it.
Everyone just wants to learn... they want to get a good job and they want to have a good life... that's all.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
Yea I have to agree with Pwar... it does come off kinda pompus when you say stuff like that about a degree. I mean when it comes down to it law is just a field of work like anything else... it's not like those whom do law are chosen, special people or whatever it's just a job they'd like to do.
I think it really shat some people when I told them how I came to the decision to do law, ie flipping of a coin. It shows that a lot of law students not only consider themselves above the rest (they *love* to emphasise 'I'm doing laaaaaaww'), but consider law to be some kind of sacred study.

This probably has links with the fact that law was a sacred study, and that lawyers were traditionally thought of as people on whom the sun loved to shine. Law, for some people, still seems to be a sacred enclosure that only the tried, tested and true may enter.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I don't mean to come across that way at all :(. I guess since I spent the whole year thinking I wouldn't make it I just got very annoyed lol. I don't think it applies only to law but many other fields where there is a high demand. I am just very protective of my beloved law.

BTW I had no idea pwar :uhhuh:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)