• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cycling in Sydney (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I'm considering buying a bike to get me around once I move on Sunday, I'm looking for opinions on whether or not this is a good idea etc. Does anyone ride around regularly or have had experience riding around Sydney, especially around the city/eastern suburbs/inner west? Would a mountain bike suffice or should I look at getting a road bike? What are some general tips regarding riding in Sydney?

I'm gonna be living at UNSW, so I'm wondering if Anzac Parade is a good road to be riding on or if I should look at other routes up to the city.

Cheers in advance :)

closet monster

HSC
after reading your post i have summarised my thoughts.
YES getting a bike is a good idea! think of the great impact it will have on the environment. NO Impact! plus, they are cheaper and much more fun than a car or public transport.
I recommend a mountain bike, just because you never know where your bike may lead you, and a on a wet day, or down a gravel laiden path, a mountain bike is going to have a lot more grip and supsension.
good luck at uni.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
road bike. mountain bikes go at half the speed and are shit tiring.

im soooooo getting a road bike after my hsc. ride to fucking wollongong every day.

as for your location, anzac parade is great, then turn onto Centennial and ride a few laps a day.

oh wait. this thread was made in february. shit bump to you closet monster

psyfre

Supercalifragilisticexp..
HSC
You can get get a half/half road and mountain bike. Its the kind of bikes couriers ride around on. They are great fun.

Road Bike - fast but not very practical if your going to be riding around everywhere.

Mountain Bike - retarded for riding to/from uni.

The half/half - Fast AND tough.

duncman

HSC
mate, it is social suicide to be seen riding a roadie, roadies that think they are cool are obviousley in denial.
get a mountain bike. it only has to be an entry level hard tail and you can go anywhere. road bikes are just restricted to the road where you are absorbing lovely carbon monoxide, go mountain bike then on weekends go riding through the bush, allot nicer then dodging cars and other roadies.
in short, dont be a roadie, be a hucker.
go mtb!

Bookie

Banned
HSC
secret said:
Roadbike? When you say roadbike do you mean motorbike? They're called motorbikes, roadbikes could be refering to a whole list of shit. If you're refering to motorbikes, don't get one. I am forced to ride one because I can't drive for shit. And everyday I am dodging people who can't drive hoping I don't smash, ending up in a wheel chair.
no, he means road bike.

carbyheat

HSC
duncman,

Social suicide on a roadbike? pfffft What are we in denial of?

Yeh mountain bikes can be used offroad, but unless you want to ride to the tracks your going to have to drive with your bike on a rack or in the boot to start your ride - mountain bikes are limited too.

I ride on roads that are sealed quite well (no chip seal) with barely any traffic - you just need to know where to go. Not all roads are packed with cars.

Anyway, you seem like a typical mountain biker - upset about the amout of times you've been overtaken by a roadie who's just taken' it easy. :p

And why the 34tooth rear cogs...can't handle a 23?

Cheers

PS. Just having a stab...I'm actually looking at getting a mountain bike just to muck around on.

PPS. You look like noobs on the road.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)