Cyclohexane // Hexane (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I'm not really clear on your question, but to answer what I think you are asking:

Hexane is a straight chain alkane, CH<sub>3</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>, with molecular formula C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>14</sub>.

Cyclohexane is a cyclic alkane, with the six C's forming a ring, and it has a molecular formula of C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>12</sub>.

Hexene is a straight chain alkene, which has one carbon-to-carbon double bond in its chain. Whilst it has the same molecular formula as cyclohexane, it has a markedly different chemistry. There are a number of possible compounds that could be called hexene. Provided we ignore geometric differences (OK for school, not OK for Uni), they are:

1-hexene: CH<sub>2</sub>=CHCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>

2-hexene: CH<sub>3</sub>CH=CHCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>

3-hexene: CH<sub>3</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH=CHCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>

Cyclohexene is a cyclic alkene, with its 6 carbons forming a ring, and having a carbon-to-carbon double bond somewhere in the ring. There is only one such compound, so the name is unambiguous (by contrast, the name hexene was ambiguous because it is one of at least 3 possible compounds). The molecular formula of cyclohexene is C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>10</sub>.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Is there any reason why schools would use cyclohexane/cyclohexene over hexane/hexene (unless hexane/hexene is still a gas but any other straight-chained alkane/alkene)?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Yes, there is. Hexane is considerably more toxic than pentane, heptane or cyclohexane. So, for safety reasons, it is good practice to use the pair cyclohexane / cyclohexene, rather than a pair like hexane / 1-hexene. The cyclic option also means that there is only one alkene to consider, rather than having to discuss which of the pentenes or hexenes or heptenes is being used.

Reactions: QZP

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Hexane is a straight chain alkane, CH<sub>3</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>, with molecular formula C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>14</sub>.

Cyclohexane is a cyclic alkane, with the six C's forming a ring, and it has a molecular formula of C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>12</sub>.
bingo :) thanks

what about the reaction with bromine water ? would that change the benzene ring thing ? :confused: hmm the equations for the hydrocarbons with bromine water would help :)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh

what about the reaction with bromine water ? would that change the benzene ring thing ? :confused: hmm the equations for the hydrocarbons with bromine water would help :)
the double bond of an alkene makes it more reactive, as it undergoes an addition reaction with bromine, rather than the substitution reaction seen in the alkanes reaction, which requires a catalyst such as UV light to occur.

R

randhi

cyclohexane with bromine water
C6H12 (aq) + Br2 (aq) - - - > C6H11Br + HBr (with UV)

Cyclohexene

C6H10 (aq) + Br2 (aq) - - - > C6H10Br2

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by randhi
cyclohexane with bromine water
C6H12 (aq) + Br2 (aq) - - - > C6H11Br + HBr (with UV)

Cyclohexene

C6H10 (aq) + Br2 (aq) - - - > C6H10Br2
The formula for bromine water is BrOH because it reacts with the water to dissolve :)

Calculon

HSC
N/A
we've always done it with Br<sub>2</sub> :confused:
CM tutor, please verify :)
Its Br<sub>2</sub> when its dissolved in another solvent

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

It isnt a benzene ring thing, but it will still be in a ring the reaction only breaks the double bond. (Benzene has 3 pairs of delocalised electrons which makes it unreactive)

spice girl

magic mirror
:confused: do i write Br<sub>2</sub> ? or BrOH :confused:
aqueous bromine is an equilibrium mixture of Br<sub>2(aq)</sub> and HOBr (formed when Br<sub>2</sub> reacts with H<sub>2</sub>O to form HBr and HOBr).

But conq chem is wrong. mechanistically, it is Br<sub>2</sub> that reacts with the double bond.

in short, just write Br<sub>2</sub>

cko

HSC
umm.... im confused, what if i wrote "BrOH" in the HSC exam? Would that be marked as wrong??

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Kimmeh: As has already been pointed out, there is no 'benzene ring' in cyclohexane, or any other cyclic compound dealt with in the HSC. The reactions of cyclohexane and hexane with bromine have already been provided, and here are the reactions for hexane and 1-hexene:

C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>14</sub> + Br<sub>2</sub> ---UV Light---> C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>13</sub>Br + HBr

The product here is one of the isomers of bromohexane - ie. one of 1-bromohexane, 2-bromohexane or 3-bromohexane.

C<sub>4</sub>H<sub>9</sub>-CH=CH<sub>2</sub> + Br<sub>2</sub> ---> C<sub>4</sub>H<sub>9</sub>CHBr-CH<sub>2</sub>Br

The product here is 1,2-dibromohexane.

OK, now to the bromine water issue.

Let's start with the easy bit. Bromine on its own, or bromine in a non-polar solvent (organic chemists like to use carbon tetrachloride, CCl<sub>4</sub>) is unequivocally Br<sub>2</sub>. It reacts in these circumstances by adding across a double bond in the usual way, ie:

R<sup>1</sup>R<sup>2</sup>C=CR<sup>3</sup>R<sup>4</sup> + Br<sub>2</sub> ---> R<sup>1</sup>R<sup>2</sup>CBr-CBrR<sup>3</sup>R<sup>4</sup>

where R<sup>1</sup>, R<sup>2</sup>, R<sup>3</sup> and R<sup>4</sup> are all either hydrogen or carbon chanins.

In water, the situation becomes more complex. As has been implied above, we have a problem as bromine exists in equilibrium in water with hypobromous acid and hydrobromic acid:

Br<sub>2 (aq)</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O<sub> (l)</sub> <---> HOBr<sub> (aq)</sub> + HBr<sub> (aq)</sub>

That is, there is present the strong acid HBr, the weak acid HOBr, and in addition, unreacted Br<sub>2</sub>. Conquering Chemistry maintains that the reactive species in this mixture is the HOBr, and thus that bromine water should be formulated as HOBr. This completely ignores the fact that HBr (or, to be more precise, its ionised form) is a capable of adding across a double bond, and that this equilibrium lies to the left.

Furthermore, it ignores the purpose of the bromine water test. The use of bromine water is as a simply, qualitative, diagnostic test for the presence of unsaturations in the carbon chain - that is, carbon-to-carbon double and triple bonds - and this is done by the colour change that occurs due to the reaction. Since the coloured species in this equilibrium mixture is the Br<sub>2</sub>, and not either of the others, in my opinion the critical reaction in this case is still the addition of Br<sub>2</sub>, and not the reaction of minor species produced due to the hydrolysis of bromine. Note that the fact that bromine water retains significant orange / brown colour is proof that bromine remains present at equilibrium in substantial quantities.

I might add that I have discussed this matter in the past with a member of the USyd academic staff who is an organic chemist, and he concurs that the important reaction is the one that leads to the colour change, and thus is the reaction of bromine itself.

Now, what about exam questions? Well, if you feel it is necessary to offer an explanation in an exam, then I would note that the equilibrium does exist, but that the colour change is the basis for the use of the test, and thus it is the reaction of the coloured species that should be considered, and not any other reactions.

In conclusion, whilst I would not go as far as to say that the mechanism discussed by Smith is wrong, I would say that it does not focus on the critical issue, and thus I would still write reactions of bromine water using Br<sub>2</sub>.

Please post more questions if you are still having troubles with this. :)

Last edited:

Calculon

HSC
N/A
But wouldn't removing BrOH or HBr from solution also remove Br<sub>2</sub> because of the equilibrium being disturbed?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Calculon, you are correct that reacting with HOBr and / or HBr would draw the equilibrium to the right (Le Chatelier's Principle), thereby decreasing the concentration of Br<sub>2</sub>. However, it is equally true to say that removing Br<sub>2</sub> by direct reaction will draw the equilibrium to the left.

Which of these interpretations is correct? It depends on which reaction is more likely, the reactions with HOBr
and / or HBr, or the reaction with Br<sub>2</sub>.

How would we determine this? Well, it can be determined, just not by HSC methods. Here is an explanation (you'll have to trust me on the calculations, but anyone doing Chemistry at Uni is welcome to check me, as they're only first year level).

We have a reaction Br<sub>2 (aq)</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O<sub> (l)</sub> <---> HOBr<sub> (aq)</sub> + H<sup>+</sup><sub>(aq)</sub> + Br<sup>-</sup><sub>(aq)</sub>
This is a redox reaction, as we have oxidation of Br<sub>2</sub> to HOBr and reduction of Br<sub>2</sub> to Br<sup>-</sup>. We can calculate that
E = -0.50 V under standard conditions. This means (applying the Nernst equation) that the equillibrium constant for the reaction at room temperature is 3.50 x 10<sup>-9</sup> mol<sup>2</sup>L<sup>-2</sup>, and from this it is possible to calculate that approximately 1 in every 660 bromine molecules has undergone reaction, and the remaining 659 bromine molecules remains as Br<sub>2</sub>. It is thus vastly more likely that the alkene molecules will encounter a bromine molecule and react than it will encounter a molecule of HOBr or an H<sup>+</sup> ion.

I conclude that the major reaction is the direct reaction of Br<sub>2</sub> with the alkene, and it is this reaction, rather than the shifting of the equilibrium, that is primarily responsible for the colour change.

spice girl

magic mirror
well, the thing with 660 molecules of Br2 to every molecule of HOBr (OBr- anion) is that the argument will work if u assume that both species are equally likely to react with the double bond.

but in terms of mechanisms, the reason why the conq chem is dodge is that HOBr is actually H+ and OBr- ions. this means if it reacts u get -H attached to one carbon, and -OBr attached to the other. which isn't the case in reality. also, another reason is that in things like cyclohexene, u find that the product -Br and -OH is 'trans' to each other (i.e. on opposite sides of the ring). This can only be explained if Br2 reacted (forming an intermediate where the bromine is joined to both carbons, blocking the way of water attack on the same side). I guess u can argue that the Br can come from OBr-, but the OBr- anion is negatively charged, so an electron-dense double bond is less likely to attack it.

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Thankyou, my curiousity is satiated.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spice girl
but in terms of mechanisms, the reason why the conq chem is dodge is that HOBr is actually H+ and OBr- ions. this means if it reacts u get -H attached to one carbon, and -OBr attached to the other. which isn't the case in reality. also, another reason is that in things like cyclohexene, u find that the product -Br and -OH is 'trans' to each other (i.e. on opposite sides of the ring). This can only be explained if Br2 reacted (forming an intermediate where the bromine is joined to both carbons, blocking the way of water attack on the same side). I guess u can argue that the Br can come from OBr-, but the OBr- anion is negatively charged, so an electron-dense double bond is less likely to attack it.
Sorry, but this isn't correct. HOBr is a weak acid, with a pK<sub>a</sub> of 8.62, and this means that less than 1 in every 20000 HOBr molecules have actually undergone ionisation. Thus, hypobromous acid is overwhelming present as unionised HOBr molecules, and not as ionised H<sup>+</sup> and OBr<sup>-</sup> ions. Furthermore, the reaction of hypohalous acids, HOX, with alkenes to give the haloalcohol is a well known organic reaction, ie:

R<sup>1</sup>R<sup>2</sup>C=CR<sup>3</sup>R<sup>4</sup> + HOX ---> R<sup>1</sup>R<sup>2</sup>CX-C(OH)R<sup>3</sup>R<sup>4</sup>

where R<sup>1</sup>, R<sup>2</sup>, R<sup>3</sup> and R<sup>4</sup> are all either hydrogen or carbon chanins.

This reaction starts with an attack by the electrons in the double bond onto the electrophilic halogen atom (noting that the halogen has as oxidation state of +I in HOX), producing a cyclic halonium ion of the same type as is formed when reacting with X<sub>2</sub>. The hydroxide ion then attacks from the reverse side, giving trans addition of HOX, just like occurs for X<sub>2</sub>.

I would agree with you that there was a problem if HOBr was substantially ionised, but it is not, and so the 'mechanism' that Smith is using is chemically reasonable, it is just not the primary mechanism responsible for the observed phenomenon. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)