DAILY TELEGRAPH - Top 200 schools (1 Viewer)

HSC
glitterfairy said:
;) But obviously we're highly intelligent too, aren't we?

GO HORNSBY GIRLS CLASS OF 05'!!! YOU'RE THE FIRST CLASS TO BREAK OUR "4TH IN STATE" THRESHOLD! YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS MAKE ME SO PROUD TO HAVE GONE TO HORNSBY! GOOD ON YOU! A GIGANTIC CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU!
awwwwwwwww :)

*warm fuzzy feeling* hehe. go hornsby!!

i don't know if you remember me but you read my 4 unit story once and gave feedback so thanks again, I did well in it (50) :)

HSC
A l said:
It's interesting to note that Hornsby Girls High School offers English (Standard) and General Mathematics, while the only other selective school that offers them in the current top 10 is St George Girls High School.
i finished at HGHS last year and we didn't have standard english as an option.. we did have general maths though.

HSC
N/A
jusdorange said:
i finished at HGHS last year and we didn't have standard english as an option.. we did have general maths though.

Confirmed. General English is NOT an option at HGHS.

However General Maths certainly is - I did it! :p

And congratulations to jusdorange - great marks, great work! :)

A l

HSC
N/A
If that is the case, then please explain why on your school's website (http://www.hornsbygir-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/index2.html) in the English curriculum section, it states:
We offer Standard, Advanced and Extension courses in Year 11 and in Year 12. Hornsby Girls' High School English teachers have been actively involved in running courses for teachers and students in other schools, sitting on committees and designing and writing new programs for both the Preliminary Year and the HSC.

HSC
A l said:
If that is the case, then please explain why on your school's website (http://www.hornsbygir-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/index2.html) in the English curriculum section, it states:
We offer Standard, Advanced and Extension courses in Year 11 and in Year 12. Hornsby Girls' High School English teachers have been actively involved in running courses for teachers and students in other schools, sitting on committees and designing and writing new programs for both the Preliminary Year and the HSC.
i know that they offered it a few years ago (2001 i think) because the grade made a huge deal about not being allowed to do it and stuff. so i guess they don't unless a lot of people have a problem doing advanced.

oh and thanks glitterfairy :) i might see you around macquarie sometime!

cigazze

My wit's out to lunch
HSC
gorgo31 said:
The SMH puts us in a higher position, but regardless, we're the No. 1 non-selective Government school. I think Maralyn Parker makes a highly valid point, especially considering some of the schools we outperformed.
mmmm kilara's been the traditional leader in non-selective non-private schools

u guys must be doing something right! :D

JazzoWillEatYou

HSC
A l said:
It's interesting to note that Hornsby Girls High School offers English (Standard) and General Mathematics, while the only other selective school that offers them in the current top 10 is St George Girls High School.
IMHO a bit of low scaling doesn't really make too much of a difference as long as you know what you're doing. I just did my HSC at StGGHS this year, and a girl from our grade who did General Maths got 99.8 or something brilliant like that.

HSC
N/A
A l said:
I've since emailled the school to let them know and asked them to clean it up. I doubt they'll do anything till term starts, but meh. :)

As far as Standard goes, it was totally "not an option" in my grade. Knowing the English Department like I do, I doubt it will be one for some time - particularly as the newer grades are uber-smart :S I also heard something when I was in Yr10 about some rule saying we couldn't have any General Maths classes anymore...?! That could have been just a rumour, though. I hope it's not true!

Catwalk

HSC
A l said:
a previous dux at StGGHS did standard english, so that just proves it to be a good option for those with poor levels of english.

ETA: re. HGHS, when i did the selective test years ago HGHS was my last choice and barely an option for me because it was a very average school at the time. how on earth did they manage to creep up the ladder..

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Catwalk said:
a previous dux at StGGHS did standard english, so that just proves it to be a good option for those with poor levels of english.

ETA: re. HGHS, when i did the selective test years ago HGHS was my last choice and barely an option for me because it was a very average school at the time. how on earth did they manage to creep up the ladder..
HGHS only became fully-selective again in 1999. When I was in Yr 7, there wasn't half the "academic pressure/spirit/whatever" that exists in the junior school today - it came on really quick. Even as a Hornsby Girl myself, I'm still not quite sure how it happened! We have some really good teachers though... and they prepare us really well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
glitterfairy said:
HGHS only became fully-selective again in 1999. When I was in Yr 7, there wasn't half the "academic pressure/spirit/whatever" that exists in the junior school today - it came on really quick. Even as a Hornsby Girl myself, I'm still not quite sure how it happened! We have some really good teachers though... and they prepare us really well.
Wasn't Normo like that as well? Only partially selective before?

I guess Baulko only became selective in 1995 or something... so only 4 years ahead. Oh no.. does this mean we're going to get overtaken "by a bunch of girls"? jkjk.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
billeh said:
hey, canterbury boys hs did quite well,
in previous years not even top 200
but look now

144. Cantebury Boys' HS --- 354, DA: 29, 8.10%

rofl .. they spelt our school name wrong
its canteRbury ..
with an R ...
omg ..
haha, I'm sure Johnny Howard would be proud of his alma mater...

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
Oh no.. does this mean we're going to get overtaken "by a bunch of girls"? jkjk.
ahaha done that already

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Pfft not if you read the Sydney Morning Herald =P

*sees "blobz"*
For some reason that reminds me of Celine...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)