dam this question!! (1 Viewer)

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
ok there's probably a simple explanation to this but dammit i dont get it:

ok u have two separate coils not in anyway connected: coil A and coil B

A has an ac power supply connected in series to it while B has a lamp connected to it in series and according to the picture has about twice as much coil than in A. well the question was "when the current was passed through coil A the lamp in coil B glows. explain why this occurs"...or sumthing along those lines. this was a 2 marker from my trial and also 2marker in my half yearly and on both occasions i didnt get the answer...so a little help would be aprecciated
thanks

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
A current is electromagnetically induced in Coil B. The AC provides the changing magnetic field and the ratio of coils means the voltage in Coil B is twice that in Coil A, it was basically asking for an explanation of how a transformer works.

deadnature

HSC
Xayma said:
A current is electromagnetically induced in Coil B. The AC provides the changing magnetic field and the ratio of coils means the voltage in Coil B is twice that in Coil A, it was basically asking for an explanation of how a transformer works.

Exactly, Due to the changing polarity of coil A, coil B 'cuts' the lines of flux hence inducing a current. One of Faraday's first experiments highlighted this idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)