Damn Computer Science ELECTIVES!!! (1 Viewer)

EvoRevolution

HSC
Having trouble finding the list of electives that i can choose for first semester computer science. CAN some1 help plz.

"Lee-.-Roy"

HSC
click here for link to your program plan. click here for a list of all available plans if this isnt your one.

if you scroll down with the first link right after the first table under program structure you see this:

===
* Students may take MATH1081 in either semester.

** ENGG1000 (Engineering Design) is designed for students with a Computing Major to choose it in semester 1 and is highly reccommended. ENGG1811 (Computing for Engineers) is not designed for students with a Computing Major.

Computer science has mathematics and computing courses in year 1, representing five out of eight courses for a full-time student. Electives are chosen from physics, information systems, chemistry, philosophy, psychology, geography, economics and many other disciplines. ENGG1000 is a recommended elective.
===

so, at least for first sem, stick in

comp1917
math1131/1141
math1081
ENGG1000 (your elective. this is the easiest uni course you'll ever do)

or more generally

comp1917
math1131/1141
elective 1 (from above)
elective 2 (from above)

id recommend for you to do math1081 asap, especially when theres no timetable clash.

as with these electives, its just getting you to do 'random stuff' so you get the however UoC in total to let you graduate. Its also there for you to have a taste of fields outside computing.

nevertheless, consult with CSE help desk during semester for more help. the lines should be hectic atm.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
I've never seen one of these "lists" for any particular program. ive always just went hunting on the handbook site

Class Search by Session

there is a list of all of the different schools. if you think you might like to study a course from a certain school, clicking the link will take you to all courses that are being run this semester

generally, you want the course codes to start with a 1 or a 2. if it starts with a 3 its probably a course that has prereqs

(id steer clear of INFS)

edit: the person above me said do discrete math asap. I strongly disagree with this. 1st semester has heaps of electives. 2nd semester has almost none that are worth doing. also, if you want to do a 2 part course, like a language, then you can do 1 course in either semester.

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Like I said in the other thread, you can pick anything you want.

Uni isn't spoon fed, you need to get used to looking for things.

Prosper

HSC
Doing discrete maths in semester 1 can help with a computing course in semester 2.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if nothing else, its an interesting break from algebra and calculus
hahaha if discrete is what i think it is t hen hardly a break from alg in 1b where u prove like 1+1 = 2 -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)