• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

damnnnnnnnnnn (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

I still don't understand how it works :p oh well, as long as I get my marks :)

tennille

HSC
I posted this in another thread:

If you are coming first in a subject throughout the year, the HSC assessment mark you receive will be the highest HSC mark received in your school for that subject. Your HSC exam mark is your own exam mark. If you are coming fifth in a subject, the HSC assessment mark you receive will be the fifth highest HSC exam mark received at your school. That is why ranks matter.

I hope that helps.

P

pLuvia

So that means if the highest mark for your school was 70% lets say, then the highest HSC mark you will get is 70%?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Tennille said:
I posted this in another thread:

If you are coming first in a subject throughout the year, the HSC assessment mark you receive will be the highest HSC mark received in your school for that subject.
Your HSC exam mark is your own exam mark.
That's right!

If you are coming fifth in a subject, the HSC assessment mark you receive will be the fifth highest HSC exam mark received at your school.
U will receive the 5th highest moderated assessment mark, however, this won't be the 5th highest HSC exam mark received at ur school. What uve stated only applies to 1st place, being 1st u aren't affected by ur class's performance for a particular subject therefore ur internal assessment mark will be the highest HSC exam mark obtained at ur school, this is not the case for everyone else, although as I said, u do end up with the 5th highest assessment mark, which doesnt mean u end up with the 5th highest HSC examination mark as ur assessment mark.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
So that means if the highest mark for your school was 70% lets say, then the highest HSC mark you will get is 70%?

If the highest mark in the HSC exam was 70%, then rank 1 (as determined by the assessments held through the year) in that subject will receive 70% as their HSC assessment mark, and whatever their moderated exam mark is as their HSC exam mark. These two marks are then averaged to give the mark used to calculate UAI by the Universities Admissions Centre.

I_F

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

That's not a very good system :( If that's what I'm thinking of how the system works :p

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Well, it's probably the best system in that it has the least flaws. Which doesn't say much. But it does allow for a system where schools are relatively free to set assessments as they wish - it's how people perform in relation to each other that's important, not what everyone's exact marks were.

I_F

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
pLuvia said:
That's not a very good system :( If that's what I'm thinking of how the system works :p
Its better than actually using schools assessment marks, some school mark easier than others or schools would then try and give their students high assessment marks, plus its impossible to compare

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
im scared now. esp with some of the people in my school .. guess i have to boost that maths rank till at least the top 10 which i hope i can do ><

k_m

HSC
physician said:
That's right!

U will receive the 5th highest moderated assessment mark, however, this won't be the 5th highest HSC exam mark received at ur school. What uve stated only applies to 1st place, being 1st u aren't affected by ur class's performance for a particular subject therefore ur internal assessment mark will be the highest HSC exam mark obtained at ur school, this is not the case for everyone else, although as I said, u do end up with the 5th highest assessment mark, which doesnt mean u end up with the 5th highest HSC examination mark as ur assessment mark.

THANKS PHYSICIAN i understand it much better now!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The only way they could make it fair is by giving all yr 12 students in Australia the same assessment tasks, just like how everyone does the same final exam. However it just doesn't work as well as a moderated mark.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
k_m said:
THANKS PHYSICIAN i understand it much better now!
lol, I sense a tone of sarcasm!

well I wasnt really explaining anything lol, I was just pointing out a little mistake which was posted up.

anyways, Just to give u an example of what i meant:

Raw School Assess. Mark/ Examination Mrk/ Moderated Assess. Mark/ HSC Mark

1 ------------90------------------------95--------------------95---------------------95

2 ------------85------------------------81-------------------88.5-------------------84.8

3 ------------79------------------------83--------------------83.7---------------------84

4 ------------77------------------------88-------------------82.2-------------------85.1

5 ------------72------------------------82--------------------81---------------------81.5

Lets take student number 2 as an example. Now Student 2 is ranked 2nd internaly out of the 5 students in the class.

Now the 2nd highest HSC examination mark achieved at this school was 88 achieved by student 4, ranked 4/5, student 2 doesn't necessarily get the 2nd highest examination mark as his moderated assessment mark, as can be seen his moderated assessment mark is 89, although in this case 89 is obviously very close to the 2nd highest examination mark.

This example probably wasnt the best lol, but anyways, the main point is that (as can be seen) everyone is affected by the process of moderation except the student ranked 1st internaly. Their exam mark ended up being their moderated assessment mark as well as their final HSC mark. (as seen in the example above)

Bah, Im a little rusty right now, if u need more explaining hopefuly i'll be able to do so..ask away... as for now u might wanna expermient with the following simulation:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

have fun!

Riviet said:
The only way they could make it fair is by giving all yr 12 students in Australia the same assessment tasks, just like how everyone does the same final exam. However it just doesn't work as well as a moderated mark.
That would still be unfair I can gurantee u that alot of teachers mark no where near as harsh as others... u could do the same assessment taks in one school and get 13/20 whereas in another school u'd receive 18/20...

The way the system works now is the best! Because it seems so complicated people often mistake it to be an unfair system, but in reality it isn't...It's actualy a pritty neat system but it just takes time to understand, then again don't worry too much, what the system stands to encourage is people exerting the best effort internaly as well as externaly in the final HSC exams, as long as u do that, u'll be fine!

EDIT: sorry i made a mistake with student number 3... but I hope u get the point...lol

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Lol and still the system is very confusing but the best way they've done it so far.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
k_m said:
haha my names dan.
and i was like...OMG i have a thread!
then i clicked and it wasnt..
so i cried..
and did a lurch impression :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)