Darwin/Wallace's theory of evolution (1 Viewer)

valentino

hey, does anyone have a good answer to this dot point coz all my info is too detailed and its driving me insane! thank yoouu

•explain how Darwin/Wallace's theory of evolution by natural selection and isolation accounts for adaptive radiation leading to divergent evolution and convergent evolution

Last edited by a moderator:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
firstly u want to explain darwin/wallace's theory of evolution... then:
if a group of animal from the same species are separated into two groups, each having different ambient conditions to cope with, then the difference in the physical condition demands different physical characteristics to be advantageous... and by darwin/wallce evolution theory, few generations later, the characteristci will be common amongst the population... since different physical condition demands different characteristics, the two groups will evolve divergently...

similarly, if two groups of different species need to cope the same physical conditions, which demand certain phsycial characteristics, from darwin/wallace theory of evolution, those characteristics will be common among the population of the two different species... hence convergent evolution...

^___ShabS___^

valentino said:
hey, does anyone have a good answer to this dot point coz all my info is too detailed and its driving me insane! thank yoouu

•explain how Darwin/Wallace's theory of evolution by natural selection and isolation accounts for adaptive radiation leading to divergent evolution and convergent evolution

Valentino -- i hope this helps... :eek:
now im havin the same problem with 4 dot points if u could kindly help me! and PASTE the answer like i did... if u got it...

Darwin/Wallace theory outlines that characteristics favourable to the reproduction and survival of organisms in their environment will be selected for, and over time, new species will appear in response to environmental changes.

•Adaptive radiation refers to the variety of different species that evolve from an ancestral line as a result of migration and isolation. The Darwin/Wallace theory of natural selection and isolation provides a mechanism for adaptive radiation. If groups of a population become isolated, the chances are high that they will encounter differing selective pressure as each environment evolves independently. Eventually, the two populations may have changed sufficiently that they become different species.
For example, the biodiversity of flora and fauna that are unique to Australia are the result of adaptive radiation. When Australia separated from Gondwana, the organisms then evolved due to selective pressure from the changing environment. This supports the Darwin/Wallace theory of evolution.

•Adaptive radiation can lead to both divergent evolution and convergent evolution.
Divergent evolution occurs when closely related species experience quite different environments and as a result vastly different characteristics will be selected. The species, over time, will evolve differently and will eventually appear quite different. For example, elephants are large plains-dwelling animals that are closely related to a small guinea pig-like animal called a hyrax. Hyraxes live amongst rocky outcrops on mountains. Comparison of skeletons indicates the close relationship between the two groups.
Convergent evolution occurs when two relatively unrelated species develop similar structures, physiology or behaviours in response to similar selective pressures from similar environments. For example, dolphins (mammals) and sharks (cartilaginous fish) have evolved a streamlined body shape and fins that enable them to move efficiently through their aquatic environment, yet they are only remotely related as vertebrates.

1) Analyse information from secondary sources on the historical development of theories of evolution and use available evidence to assess social and political influences on these developments.

2) Describe the work of Morgan that led to the identification of sex linkage.

3) analyse information from secondary sources to outline the evidence that led to Beadle and Tatums one gene one protein hypothesis and to explain why this was altered to the one gene one polypeptide hypothesis.

4) Use available evidence to analyse the links between gene expression and maintenance and repair of body tissues.

thanx!

valentino

hey thank you for ur help,,,im not sure if i can help u with all of those dot point coz i havnt don all of them yet but i hope this will help :eek:

•describe the work of Morgan that led to the identification of sex linkage

Morgan has been breeding Drosophila (fruit fly). He noticed that males fruit fly’s had white eyes among the offspring of red-eyed parents
This led him to further investigate fruit fly by breeding white eyed male with a red eyed female.
The offspring’s (F1) all had red eyes
He then allowed the F1 to breed, and the F2 generation contained some white eyed fly’s. All of the white eyed fly's were male
This led him to suggest that the genes for sex-linkage characteristics were on the X chromosome.

^___ShabS___^

its ok...
thanks for ur help........ :)
i found all the answers........
so no worries........................... :)

tristalouise

HSC
~GeNie~Na~BotL~ said:
Valentino -- i hope this helps... :eek:
now im havin the same problem with 4 dot points if u could kindly help me! and PASTE the answer like i did... if u got it...

Darwin/Wallace theory outlines that characteristics favourable to the reproduction and survival of organisms in their environment will be selected for, and over time, new species will appear in response to environmental changes.

•Adaptive radiation refers to the variety of different species that evolve from an ancestral line as a result of migration and isolation. The Darwin/Wallace theory of natural selection and isolation provides a mechanism for adaptive radiation. If groups of a population become isolated, the chances are high that they will encounter differing selective pressure as each environment evolves independently. Eventually, the two populations may have changed sufficiently that they become different species.
For example, the biodiversity of flora and fauna that are unique to Australia are the result of adaptive radiation. When Australia separated from Gondwana, the organisms then evolved due to selective pressure from the changing environment. This supports the Darwin/Wallace theory of evolution.

•Adaptive radiation can lead to both divergent evolution and convergent evolution.
Divergent evolution occurs when closely related species experience quite different environments and as a result vastly different characteristics will be selected. The species, over time, will evolve differently and will eventually appear quite different. For example, elephants are large plains-dwelling animals that are closely related to a small guinea pig-like animal called a hyrax. Hyraxes live amongst rocky outcrops on mountains. Comparison of skeletons indicates the close relationship between the two groups.
Convergent evolution occurs when two relatively unrelated species develop similar structures, physiology or behaviours in response to similar selective pressures from similar environments. For example, dolphins (mammals) and sharks (cartilaginous fish) have evolved a streamlined body shape and fins that enable them to move efficiently through their aquatic environment, yet they are only remotely related as vertebrates.

1) Analyse information from secondary sources on the historical development of theories of evolution and use available evidence to assess social and political influences on these developments.

2) Describe the work of Morgan that led to the identification of sex linkage.

3) analyse information from secondary sources to outline the evidence that led to Beadle and Tatums one gene one protein hypothesis and to explain why this was altered to the one gene one polypeptide hypothesis.

4) Use available evidence to analyse the links between gene expression and maintenance and repair of body tissues.

thanx!
fanks heeps!! thats an awesome answer & a gr8 help!! fanks again!! :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
tristalouise said:
fanks heeps!! thats an awesome answer & a gr8 help!! fanks again!! :)
Haha that users probably dead by now:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)