Data Processing (1 Viewer)

Maldini92

HSC
Hello guys,

Just wondering, anyone have any tips on what the general "rules" are for data processing. Such as the "correct" way to graph, or the "correct" situations to use lines of best fit etc

Teachers love to take marks off for these small things in my school :<

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
ok

for drawing ANYTHING in a science exam use as SHARP pencil, with a RULER

Now, for tables, when u draw a grid, makesure theya re even columns/rows and that the data is fully enclosed by tables (ie tehre needs to be outer lines/edges on the table)

for graphs, ALWAYS put a title (usually 1 mark allocated for this) - if u r stuk in the exam jus regurgitate wat they told u, cause most of the time that's wat they want, or just use "X vs Y" if ur really stuck

now, another mark is usually allocated to the labelling of the axes - with units in brackets , example: "time (seconds)" , "temperature (kelvin)"

also, usually the scale on each axis will be linear ie 0 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10, but SOMETIMES it MAY be non-linear, for example logarithmic, as in: 0.01 0.1 1 10 100

contrary to popular belief u do NOT have to begin ur scale at 0 at the 'orogin', for example if ur modelling projectile motion just in the middle 3 seconds of the flight u dont have to start at 0, cauise this will throw off ur scale and ur graph will look wonky

now, always in science the x-axis is where u put the INDEPENDANT VARIABLE (ie the one u r changing urself) and the y-axis is where u put the DEPENDANT VARIABLE (ie the one u r measuring or testing for)

this can be confusing, so i'll give u a couple of examples:

1) if i was graphing teh relationship between the temperature of a beaker with water in it over time as it is being heated by a bunsen burner, the thing I AM allowing to be changed is time (so that is the ind variable, and goes on x-axis) whereas the temp is what i measure (dep variable, therefore y-axis). That is the temperature of the water is dependant on the time elapsed, NOT the otherway around, hence temp on y and time on x axis, because temperature is a function of time (yes use ur maths!!!!)

2)resistance of a metal conductor as the temperature changes - same thiung, I AM changing temp, so thats the ind. variable (x-axis) whereas resistance is the dep variable (cause i am measuring it) - ie resistance is a afunction of temp

so as u can see, there is no set way in which a unit is considered to be on the x- or y- axis ALWAYS - it depends on teh situatiuon (as exemplified here - in eg 1 temp is the dep variable, whereas in eg 2 it is the ind. variable)

now, u always to a line of best fit - they NEVER want u simply to join the dots on the line, so if theres one dot obviously an outlier ignore it and follow the trend, while if there is no straight line, but u can see it is almost straight and meant to be, draw a straight line of best fit with an equal numba of dots above and below approx equal distances from the line

now, sometimes the line of best fit wont be linear but parabolic, this depends on the graph:

for eg next year in ideas to implementation (3rd topic) when u see the 'KE of a photoelectron vs incident frequency of light' graph, it is linear, and u know to draw it like that, whereas when u do projectile motion (as u should be doing about now) ull knmow ione of galileo's analysis points about it was that if u ignore air resistance it follows a PARABOLIC PATH, and thus the line of best fit when drawing teh trajectory of a projectile is a curve (parabola, concave down ofcourse)

yeh...if ive missed anything here or u just want clarification, just ask!!!

good luk 09er's!

Maldini92

HSC
WOW thanks!!

But a few more things i need to clarify:

-If data is not specifically given, but say you know for a fact that it will go through (0,0), (eg. 0 seconds after launch = 0 distance.). Do you still graph and draw the curve of best fit to (0,0) ??

-Are you allowed to have different scales for the x and y axes?
-Are you allowed to skip numbers. eg. 0 and then wiggly line and the next value is 500, then 600. etc?

-Are you sure you are allowed to not start at (0,0) ? =S

THANKYOU! i didnt actually expect an answer that would cover so much.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Maldini92 said:
WOW thanks!!

But a few more things i need to clarify:

-If data is not specifically given, but say you know for a fact that it will go through (0,0), (eg. 0 seconds after launch = 0 distance.). Do you still graph and draw the curve of best fit to (0,0) ??
yeh, id continue the trend on either side (ie both left and right), so continue it thru' (0,0) and thru (x,0) using ur eg of projectile motion

Maldini92 said:
-Are you allowed to have different scales for the x and y axes?
short answer - YES!!!

Usually, ull be graphing 2 different measurements (eg time vs distance) so there can never be a 'same scale' cause they are 2 different thingsd

plus, even if u happen to graph the same measurements (which ull rarely do) u can still use different scales!!

Maldini92 said:
-Are you allowed to skip numbers. eg. 0 and then wiggly line and the next value is 500, then 600. etc?
yes, that was my point above that u DONT need to start at 0 for teh origin, so yeh u could do that wiggly line, but wat i'd do is just set teh origin at 400 or something and then go on from there, cause doing the wiggly line thrwos ur scale off for teh bottom portion!

Maldini92 said:
-Are you sure you are allowed to not start at (0,0) ? =S
i can't tell u 100% that u will not get marked down for it, cause anything is possible and i dont know ur teachers, but i'll tell u this:

in this years catholic trial, which was my trial (CSSA) - one of the main trial papers used in teh state along with IND & NEAP - the q16 was to graph projectile motion from the table given - and it did not start at 0, so i graphed it starting with like 50m on the y-axis and 20 seconds on the x-axis, but was scared (liek u) it was inappropriate

however, i ended up getting full amrks for teh graph AND in the suggested answere FROM TEH CSSA (ie not by my school, but the official answers) it started at those points aswell

so the answer is YES, u r allowed to not start at (0,0), and i say this with that experience and teh fact that CSSA is a leading trial paper in the state

but in saying that, dont come to me and complain that u lost a mark for doing it!! cause as i said i dont know ur teachers, PLUS only use it when appropriate, so in the case of this years CSSA it gave us a table which did NOT start at (0, 0) so obviously since the Q was "use the table to pplot teh trajectory" or what not, using teh table, it was appropriate in that situation

Maldini92 said:
THANKYOU! i didnt actually expect an answer that would cover so much.
no worries. Sorry i rambled a bit (i tend to do that, lol)

good luk with physics '09!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)