Data type question (1 Viewer)

Nukeboy

HSC
N/A
Hi I have a question on the text and numeric data types.

Here's what I understand
Number data type Is only required if you are performing calculations on the data, and it takes up more space than text data type
So if field only contains digits, but you don't perform calculations on it, then you still use the text data type and this what I see happening in most questions.

Yet I see questions (2014 CSSA I think) where for example the attribute student ID is given a numerical data type because it contains only digits. But no calculations are being performed with student ID so why does this happen??

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
About numeric taking more space than text, im not sure about that, because isnt everything presented using ASCII which is 8 bits, so everything is 8 bits, even the number '8'? The data size column in a data dictionary is all in bytes because of this.

The rest is all right, you dont perform calculations on things, so they arent number data types.

In some questions the student ID is both text and number e.g. TOR164 so that would be text, but sometimes Student ID is just numbers e.g. 005386.

Its not a big thing, and you wont be taken down a mark for it, but if you have to make your own data dictionary make the Student ID have BOTH text and numbers and make it 'text' data type just so that they understand why its text.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
They use text data type to define their student numbers. It gives the administrator flexibility in giving a unique number for a student.

Chupchup

HSC
In some questions the student ID is both text and number e.g. TOR164 so that would be text, but sometimes Student ID is just numbers e.g. 005386.
Number can't start with 0 so therefore "005386" is also TEXT. Just incase it's in the test tomorrow.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
Number can't start with 0 so therefore "005386" is also TEXT. Just incase it's in the test tomorrow.
I notice this when doing assignment with access. Thanks for reminding me :)

Chupchup

HSC
I think that is where a lot of people lose marks. But helping out my fellow peers! (even though most of yous 2 years older lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)