Daylight Savings (1 Viewer)

little_red_fox

This is going to sound really stupid, but I just don't understand daylight savings! I always seem to get them wrong, I understand the concept, I just seem to over think it and end up very confused if you add or subtract etc. Does anyone have a set of rules for doing daylight savings questions?

PC

HSC
N/A
Daylight savings means that you add an hour to the normal time.
If the sun usually sets at 6pm then if you add an hour then it will set at 7pm (later on in the day).

For example, WA never uses daylight saving, but NSW does. The normal time difference in 2 hours. If it's 8am in Perth then it's 10am in Sydney. When daylight savings comes in, we add an hour to the Sydney time, so when it's 8 am in Perth it's 11 am in Sydney, so the time difference becomes 3 hours.

Does that help?

Another bit of trivia ... the time difference between Sydney and London is 10 hours, but it never actually is ... at the moment it's 9 hours because UK is on Summer time (so add an hour to their time, so their 1 less hour behind us) ... then when we go onto daylight savings, they go off it, so add an hour to our time, take an hour off theirs, so suddenly 11 hours time difference.

Good luck on Tuesday

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
PC said:
Another bit of trivia ... the time difference between Sydney and London is 10 hours, but it never actually is ... at the moment it's 9 hours because UK is on Summer time (so add an hour to their time, so their 1 less hour behind us) ... then when we go onto daylight savings, they go off it, so add an hour to our time, take an hour off theirs, so suddenly 11 hours time difference.
It actually is. For less then 24 hrs a year however.

As we change both change at 1am (I think, I know they do), ie we skip ahead 1hr to 2am, now they dont change back till our normal 11am, so at our noon, then they drop their daylight savings.

Similar effect in March.

So we are +10 hrs ahead of them for 20hrs a year :D

PC

HSC
N/A
Yeah ... I thought about that just as I posted the reply. D'oh! I hope there's not a question about that on Tuesday!

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)