DC motors help (1 Viewer)

superSAIyan2

HSC
I just wanted to know - is the current in the rotor coils of a DC motor AC or DC. My friend showed me some question where it said it is DC but I'm quite sure that its AC due to the action of the split ring commutator. I mean - although the supply current is DC when the coil rotates past the vertical plane doesn't the direction of the current in each side of the coil reverse?

Any ideas?

Thanks

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I just wanted to know - is the current in the rotor coils of a DC motor AC or DC. My friend showed me some question where it said it is DC but I'm quite sure that its AC due to the action of the split ring commutator. I mean - although the supply current is DC when the coil rotates past the vertical plane doesn't the direction of the current in each side of the coil reverse?

Any ideas?

Thanks
It's still DC. The split-ring commutator causes a hard swap of the direction of the current (i.e. it goes from +V to -V instantly) - the current is exactly the same, you've got a very simple external mechanism simply reversing the path of the current. AC current involves the smooth variance of voltage from +V to -V like a sine curve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)