Dead computer (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Hey...today my desktop turned off for no reason and on trying to turn it on again it starts to load but doesn't boot up windows and gives the message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

and then it says to go to windows setup thingo and press R to use the recovery console.

I do so and follow the steps here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

however, it doesn't exactly work considering the file cannot be found and when I attempt to copy i get a mesage sayin that the file cannot be found...

So i can't start windows at all to backup my files or correct it by the method on the microsoft site.

Anyone got a clue on how I can atleast just get on to backup my stuff but it would be great if you could help me get the whole system working again:)

any help would be great

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Reinstall Windows. When you put your Windows CD in and you get the blue setup screen, press Enter (i.e. "Press Enter to setup Windows"). Then follow the prompts. The process will basically wipe Windows and replace it with a fresh version, but it will leave all your files alone. To do this, remember that you need your product key and you may need to reactivate Windows at the end. But your files will be safe, and Windows will work (though you'll need to reinstall Service Packs, patches, etc. related to Windows). Good luck.

I_F

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys...i'll try it now and see what happens

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
any luck as yet?
BartPE is a great piece of software. If you really get stuck, try using a linux boot disc and a USB thumb drive to copy files from your drive on your computer to another computer. Might be time consuming, but will be worth it if there's info on the drive that you need, and have to do a reinstall of windows.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
i remember the days of win98 where u can just copy files from the cd straight into your comp with no hassle.

HSC
i remember i had the exact problem, with my stupid mind i decided to reformat my hardrive, windows etc and well i lost everything :mad1:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
WOW! Old thread back from the dead, although like you guys I am also wondering how ari89 got on.

I had a similar problem but it was around the time my HDD died so...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
thanks for the help guys...i ended up gettin an IT guy to do it for me and he just screwed it...did nothing fancy except back up the shared folder and format windows....it would have been great if he backed up the files that i needed that were found in my usernames my documents...meh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)