Deakin Arts/Law vs Melbourne Arts with a JD eventually. (1 Viewer)

hotdimsim

HSC
Hi,

I've recently decided that after 2 years out of school and a year of Engineering I really don't want to study eng, nor work in the field. My interests have always lied with law and arts, and i purely did eng for the career prospects (shit idea, i know) So here's my dilemma. I'm trying to decide whether i should put Deakin Arts/Law above Melbourne's new generation arts degree, or the other way around. I've listed my pros and cons of both below, and would love any input anyone can put in.

Deakin;
-graduate with both a LLB and BA in 5 years
-i have friends going to Deakin to do arts next year and the year after, so i wont be totally lonely
-my majors at deakin are the same as melbourne
Cons:
-i have already spent 2 years at uni, with 5 years at deakin thats 7 years ive spent at uni. and im locked into it as its a double degree.Thats a long time.

Melbourne:
-the obvious prestige of the humanities is there for law and humanities
-i love the campus
-study abroad options are fantastic
-the BA is only 3 years, and i have the opportunity to go out and work after i graduate (i'm thinking public servant for the state government) and then i can come back and do my jd. Possible i'd do honours as well.
Cons:
-i very much want to do law, so Ba + Jd = 6 years (however, i can take a gap between the 2 and start a career)

As you may have guessed, the main concern for me is the time factor. I only have the equivilent of 5 years left of hecs availiable, so doing a JD would mean most of it would be full fee. However, if i do the double degree at deakin then i wont graduate till i'm 25 (as opposed to a BA is 3 years, the equivilent time at uni if i were to finish eng in my current degree)

Any advice would be appreciated :)

compache

HSC
N/A
I had the same dilemma that you are facing now, except, I had just left school and didn't have the 2 years of HECS debt that you currently are burdened with.

I chose Deakin - Arts/Law. If you give me any specific questions about the course I am more than happy to help. I have completed one year, so I'll do whatever I can.

jaimebien

HSC
The pros for Melbourne that you listed as the most important to you seem to outweigh the pros of Deakin. I would go with Melbourne based on what you listed.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
The Melbourne JD is nice and you're pretty well looked after, but when you do law/something else as a double-degree, you do get that bit of leeway to prioritise subjects. In the JD, you're doing all law subjects, all the time.
That said, you might WANT to do that, to get it over and done with. You can fast-track the JD to 2 years if you study during summer.

hotdimsim

HSC
The Melbourne JD is nice and you're pretty well looked after, but when you do law/something else as a double-degree, you do get that bit of leeway to prioritise subjects. In the JD, you're doing all law subjects, all the time.
That said, you might WANT to do that, to get it over and done with. You can fast-track the JD to 2 years if you study during summer.
yeah ive decided not to pursue deakin arts/law. i'm gonna do arts at melbourne (or monash, ive put that down as well) then work, then try and fasttrack a jd to 2 or 2 1/2 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)